What's the best cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest the best cable I should use?

As a gift I have received a LG DVS45OH DVD Player, it has component video connections and HDMI. My TV is a Samsung Plasma that has 2 x AV connections, 1 x audio & video (3 pins) & 1 x DVI input.

The TV is not HD ready, but just looking for the best form of connection and cable to obtain the best performance/picture.

If anyone can help/suggest I would appreciate it

Thanks again

Michael

Sponsored Links
Would need more information about what inputs the TV has. 'AV' is just a generic term for audio and video. Possible imputs are :-

Composite video (normally a yellow phono socket)
SCART (RGB)
Scart (S-Video)
S-Video
Component
DVI
HDMI

However I suspect the best method would be to use something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97886&C=SO&U=strat15 to convert the HDMI output of the DVD player so it can be connected to the DVI input of the TV.

GB

Apologies. The TV has two scart connections, 1 composite video, with 2 audio next this, 1 s-video connection and 1 DVI connection. No HDMI connection.

Looking at the connector, I would purchase a HDMI cable plug into CD player, convert other end an place into TV, I take it I would need to used audio cables also as DVI does not support the audio

Cheers

Michael

Yes if you convert the HDMI to DVI you will also need a separate audio lead.

Does the DVD player not have a SCART socket?
If it does and supports RGB output and one of the SCART on the TV supports RGB that would be the easiest connection method to use.

Sponsored Links
No need for an adpator and seperate cable just get a cable that does it in one unit, and don't buy your cables from maplin or from the high street consumer electronics stores they are a total rip off. Even with the small order charges you will probablly do better with a computer or electronics supplier. e.g. http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/38390/HDMI-To-DVI-5m-Cable-Gold

One thing to be aware of is that while a HDMI to DVI cable will give the best quality if it works it may not work. Unfortunately while DVI and HDMI are compatible your TV may not support the right resoloutions and/or may not support HDCP (if your player uses it which it may or may not do).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back