Whats the difference between UPS & UP on a pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Need help, or at least guidance :D

My circulation pump on my boiler is knackered and I need a new pump head.

The marking on it states "GRUNDFOS UP 15-50 AO B/BC" followed by a part number (59945503)

Looking around the net I can find many Grundfos 15/50 pumps but they are nearly all UPS, not UP

Does anyone know the difference as to what these two abbreviations mean ?

As a 'very' rough guess, are the UPS pumps selectable speed ?

In essence, I need to know whether of not it matters between buying a UPS or a UP type pump - are they at all interchangable.

My system is a Vokera Compact powering DHW & 5 radiators

Thanks in advance, any guidance / help / suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
your right the s stands for speed control as for compatability it should fit but not 100% sure.

UP Pump is Stainless/Bronze
UPS Cast Iron

both have speed control 1-3

You can fit a ups

UPS head approx 35 + vat
UP head approx 135 + vat

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help to all who answered.

I fitted a Grundfos 15/60 UPS pump body , swapping out the old one by removing the 4 allen screws. When the pump head comes off, the manifold separates into 2 sections, all held together with the allen bolts (which are considerably longer than standard pump-head to pump-body bolts.

The two boiler parts are secured/sealed by a big diameter rubber 'O' ring, but after cleaning it all went back together again easily enough. Rewired in and "Robs your dads brother", it all worked ! :LOL:

It took all of 20 mins, incl covering the fold-down PCB control unit with rubber sheeting to prevent any water damage.

Also took the opportunity of improved access whilst the pump was out to replace the original 1806 PRV with a new like for like 1806 PRV

Total for new (to me, guaranteed) pump & two PRV's (one as a spare) from Ebay, less than £40

Thanks again to all who replied

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back