Whats the difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I am sorcing a consumer unit for my 3 bed house, quick summary, Installing kitchen, replacing oven with double oven, need to run a new cooker cable back to fuse box (cooker 20 amp) going to run cable and sparky to hook up new consumer unit , test bonding and certificte!
I have seen to different types but am unsure what is suitable can anyone help!

1st
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331831&ts=53707&id=42251

2nd

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331831&ts=53707&id=28504

Sponsored Links
WINKLE1 said:
1st

2nd

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331831&ts=53707&id=28504[/QUOTE]

Have you even read the descriptions? They are both exactly the same, so if one isn't suitable the other isn't going to be either. The only difference is one comes with 10 'free' double sockets. Oh and Screwfix have made a typo regarding the RCD rating.

Seriously though, just let your sparks chose the consumer unit. There are other things to consider. Earthing arrangement, MCB ratings, breaking current etc.

Sponsored Links
I refuse to fit customer supplied CUs it's not because I want to make any profit on matrials but because of warranty issues

and customer supplied CUs tend to be the cheapest nastiest £25 off of Ebay split load board.

"Sorry love, you've a TT supply."

"A whatty supply?"

davy_owen_88 said:
WINKLE1 said:
1st

2nd

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331831&ts=53707&id=28504[/QUOTE]

Have you even read the descriptions? They are both exactly the same, so if one isn't suitable the other isn't going to be either. The only difference is one comes with 10 'free' double sockets. Oh and screwfix have made a typo regarding the RCD rating.

Seriously though, just let your sparks chose the consumer unit. There are other things to consider. Earthing arrangement, MCB ratings, breaking current etc.

Yes, I did read the description, but obviously, I ( like you) could not see what the different was, except price!!! Now , I don't claim to be an electrican, just someone who in a general does a lot of D.I.Y, including some electrical work, but as the new laws say I am now suddenly totally incapable of doing anything in my home at all. For everyone information ,the electrican who is fitting my consumer unit gave me two quotations, one with him sourcing the parts and one with labour only, whats wrong with that!!!!! He will also guarantee his work but not the parts, which I have not got a problem with.He is also going to test my whole house, bonding two and from gas metre and stopcock as this is part P compliant, no problem with that either! I no one thing, I have met some very qualified, plumbers, builders, mechanics and electricans whos work as been well below the standards I set myself, but for some reason the thought of one anyone ( shock horror) doing work in there own causes hysteria amongst the ranks.

WINKLE1 said:
Yes, I did read the descryption, but obviously, I ( like you) could ronot see what the different was, except price!!! Now , I don't claim to be an electrican, just someone who in a general does a lot of D.I.Y, including some electrical work, but as the new laws say I am now suddenly totally incapable of doing anything in my home at all. For everyone information ,the electrican who is fitting my consumer unit gave me two quotations, one with him sourcing the parts and one with labour only, whats wrong with that!!!!! He will also guarantee his work but not the parts, which I have not got a problem with.He is also going to test my whole house, bonding two and from gas metre and stopcock as this is part P compliant, no problem with that either! I no one thing, I have met some very qualified, plumbers, builders, mechanics and electricans whos work as been well below the standards I set myself, but for some reason the thought of one anyone ( shock horr) doing work in there own causes hysteria amongst the ranks.

There's no need to get your knickers in a twist dude, if you knew there was no difference why did you ask which one was suitable? And how are we meant to know what is suitable when you don't provide any information about your installation?

If you sparks is letting you source your own parts did he tell you any information that is vital in choosing a suitable CU? If not he either carries a huge supply of extra parts or he's fine with wasting his time and yours (not to mention your money) by needing to go out and buy the parts he needs because you bought the wrong thing.

But sorry for bothering, you obviously just wanted someone to say 'yes, that's fine' regardless of other issues.

Oh, and BTW, you are allowed to do any of the electrical jobs around your home yourself as long as you notify the BCO (where applicable). So don't play the 'hard-done-by householder'. The reason these rules were brought in is because too many idiots were causing themselves, and others harm. I'm not aiming that at you before you go off on one again, but it's fact.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
WINKLE1 said:
Yes, I did read the descryption, but obviously, I ( like you) could ronot see what the different was, except price!!! Now , I don't claim to be an electrican, just someone who in a general does a lot of D.I.Y, including some electrical work, but as the new laws say I am now suddenly totally incapable of doing anything in my home at all. For everyone information ,the electrican who is fitting my consumer unit gave me two quotations, one with him sourcing the parts and one with labour only, whats wrong with that!!!!! He will also guarantee his work but not the parts, which I have not got a problem with.He is also going to test my whole house, bonding two and from gas metre and stopcock as this is part P compliant, no problem with that either! I no one thing, I have met some very qualified, plumbers, builders, mechanics and electricans whos work as been well below the standards I set myself, but for some reason the thought of one anyone ( shock horr) doing work in there own causes hysteria amongst the ranks.

There's no need to get your knickers in a twist dude, if you knew there was no difference why did you ask which one was suitable? And how are we meant to know what is suitable when you don't provide any information about your installation?

If you sparks is letting you source your own parts did he tell you any information that is vital in choosing a suitable CU? If not he either carries a huge supply of extra parts or he's fine with wasting his time and yours (not to mention your money) by needing to go out and buy the parts he needs because you bought the wrong thing.

But sorry for bothering, you obviously just wanted someone to say 'yes, that's fine' regardless of other issues.

Oh, and BTW, you are allowed to do any of the electrical jobs around your home yourself as long as you notify the BCO (where applicable). So don't play the 'hard-done-by householder'. The reason these rules were brought in is because too many idiots were causing themselves, and others harm. I'm not aiming that at you before you go off on one again, but it's fact.

Davy
My knickers are not twisted at all, Whats the point of having a forum where people can ask honest questions and then be beaten over the head with a stick with comments like," Have you even read the descriptions"? or "and customer supplied CUs tend to be the cheapest nastiest £25 off of Ebay split load board.
The C.U my electrican as asked me to supply was either a wylex or a MEM his choice not mine. I have no beef with anyone but it seems always easier to patronise rather than to offer any advice, after all is that not what this forum is for!
Being a poor "'hard-done-by householder' who is obviously to thick to count all my fingers , I did post about my Installation in another forum, but thought as this section was specifally to do with consumer units, it would be some how appropiate, don't no why I botherd

The C.U my electrican as asked me to supply was either a wylex or a MEM his choice not mine. I have no beef with anyone but it seems always easier to patronise rather than to offer any advice, after all is that not what this forum is for!

I offered all the advice I could possibly give with the information you provided. I'm sorry if this wasn't enough for you.

Anyway, so long as you don't have a TT supply (earth rod) that consumer unit is suitable. Whether the MCB's provided are of the correct size for all the circuits in your house I don't know.

Being a poor "'hard-done-by householder' who is obviously to thick to count all my fingers , I did post about my Installation in another forum, but thought as this section was specifally to do with consumer units, it would be some how appropiate, don't no why I botherd.

I'm not accusing you of being thick, or anything else for that matter, but to put it simply, I'm not a mind reader so I can't tell you what consumer unit is suitable without knowing more, doing so would be stupid.

Regarding the two links you posted, IF that specific consumer unit is suitable then obviously get the cheaper one. Even if you don't need the sockets you could probably sell them on eBay or something.

Davy

For what it's worth, the second link has 10 socket outlets included, (as seen in B&Q !!) whereas the first does not.

Do I win a major prize ? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back