Whats this material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone identify this material.

It's from the back of a toilet cubicle door. The hanger broke off and the first thing I thought is could this be asbestos?

The pictures are not very clear from my phone. The material does look wooden or a little like cardboard and appears to be in thin layers, however I am a little worried that it may contain asbestos as apparently that stuff was used everywhere.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
It's hard to say from those pictures but it looks a little like dense polyurethane foam. Does it squash? Does it float? Does it soak up water? :?: :?: :?:

Does it burn? (Asbetos doesn't.) Do that test outside because burning polyurethane gives off toxic fumes. :!: :!: :!:

It's a pretty solid material but when you pick at it you can literally tear off the thin layers

Sponsored Links
Hi Merlin thanks for the prompt reply.

I wasn't sure if it was or if it wasn't. definitely no asbestos then?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but was asbestos ever used in toilet cubicles/doors ?

Softboard is well, soft, so not used for toilet cubicles

That looks like a classic Formica surface, so the board would be MDF. Either way, no asbestos content

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back