what's this painted all over my slates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my slate roof is painted a grey substance. I can peel it off in sheets on some slates, and it bends and tears easily. Where the patination oil has washed off the lead it appears to have eaten into it and caused it to lift and go crispy somewhat like fallen leaves but bizarrely on the sunward side of the roof it looks in good condition with little lifting and on the dark side it peels everywhere. I can photo it if required. Its applied to slates on a former council owned utilities building dated 1926 but when it was applied is unknown

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointer Nige.. I looked them up and the resources I could find implied that both Acrypol and materials used in the turnerising process had a fibrous aspect to them. Having torn this stuff into little shreds in many different directions I didn't find any fibres in it..

Looking closely, it looks like sponge - kinda like a 1mm thick version of the other half's yoga mat, or a chocolate aero (only with smaller bubbles)
Soaking it in petrol made it expand and become a lot more rubbery, and burning it made rather acrid smell, like tar or plastic

Have you any suggestions for removing it, whatever it is? Should I try jetwashing it off, soaking it in something, burning it to a crisp?

Thanks for the pointer Nige.. I looked them up and the resources I could find implied that both Acrypol and materials used in the turnerising process had a fibrous aspect to them. Having torn this stuff into little shreds in many different directions I didn't find any fibres in it..

Looking closely, it looks like sponge - kinda like a 1mm thick version of the other half's yoga mat, or a chocolate aero (only with smaller bubbles)
Soaking it in petrol made it expand and become a lot more rubbery, and burning it made rather acrid smell, like tar or plastic

Have you any suggestions for removing it, whatever it is? Should I try jetwashing it off, soaking it in something, burning it to a crisp?

Try contacting http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com, they have a lot of paintstrippers and strippers for removing other things. I found they were very helpful when I was looking for something to take a horrible textured paint off my house exterior. They recommended two products, I got samples of each and found the one that worked best.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back