What's this roof called and is it easy to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone.

The picture I've attached should help a bit more.

Just wanted to know the name of this style of roof, and the "formula" to construct it :) , I.e the measurement in and up for the slope. Roughly 38 degrees.

The back side of the sloped roof is also tiled, and then a flat roof lower down.

Thank you,

Sonny

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 435
Sponsored Links
The back side of the sloped roof is also tiled, and then a flat roof lower down.

Thank you,

Sonny
The back side of that roof is not tiled or there would be a ridge tile there instead of all that lead flashing.

It's basically a faux hip roof with a flat top. Curious as to how they have supported it though.

Hi noseall, yeh I know it has a flat roof in this picture but I trying to figure out how to build one with a flat roof lower with a ridge on top,

Faux hip aye? I'll have a Google :)

I suppose the proper name is mono-pitch.
Hi noseall, yeh I know it has a flat roof in this picture but I trying to figure out how to build one with a flat roof lower with a ridge on top,
Why would you want one lower with a ridge?
Just build a mono with either a flattie at high or low level. Then use mono ridge, regular ridge or flashing to suit.
If it is a faux roof there is nothing to be gained from having valleys etc on the non visible side.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should of said it clearer, it's basically a flat roof with a glass lantern in the middle,

And then a sloped roof all the way round.

With 2 hips on each side :)

Its a Mansard roof with flat top.

Beams will support the ridges and wall below them, and the flat roof is spanned between these beams

Hi woody thanks for that.

The roof I'm on about hasn't got a flat top, we done one a few years ago, I'll take a picture and show you now, I'm on the job, I've come back to decorate the house, a chippie that used to work for us done this roof and I cut the timbers for him, but I can't remember how he done it!

Just took some photos, ****ing with rain anyway so looks like an early one for me :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 384
Mansard without a flat top then :p

Easiest way is to form a flat roof, double up joists where the ridges are parallel to the joists and at the sides of the lantern, and construct the pitched roof off that.

Thank you woody, I need to know how much to measure in from the outside wall plate to the new supporting wall plate,

And also hope high would the supporting wall be ( the one that holds the pitched rafters )

I want the pitch 38 degrees :)

Cheers mate

Tan 38 = x. (0.7813)

x mutiplied by the going will give you the rise. So if your going was say 1500mm then the rise will be 1172mm.

Your going is the distance between the outside plate and the vertical part of the roof.

However we don't know any of your dimensions because we are not mind readers. We don't have a drawing either.

Also, you have to bear in mind, when working out your triangle, that you take into account the fact that your rafter will be b/m'd onto the plate. This affects the measuring point for the triangle.

Have you ever built a roof before from scratch?

Don't forget drainage.

You really need this designed if you don't know what you are doing. There's lots of potential for leaks if the detailing is not right.

Building control should be checking the design too.

Thank you noseall, yeh I've done quite a few roofs, but never done one like this, I couldn't find the old drawings for the roof in the pic,

I just want as much knowledge as I can get to be onest, i know it will come in time but I like to cover myself and be prepared! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back