When considering in or out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
What a load of typical UKIP nonsense! Scare tactics again! Shouts of hordes of immigrants all over again! :rolleyes:
UK and Ireland are outside the Schengen area so are not affected.
The travel without visas applies only to temporary tourism and not work, live, benefits, etc.
Additionally, the approval of Turks to travel within Schengen area still needs approval of EU Parliament and Council of ministers.

The FT recently forecast that, now the anti-EU campaigners' economic claims have been roundly defeated, they would be turning back to their roots and stirring up Fear of Foreigners and Immigrants.

It's started already.

Amusing to see that immigrant Boris and immigrant PBC are among them, as is Nigel with his immigrant wife.

Sponsored Links
I was commenting on the overall effect of EU membership rather than the subject of the linked article specifically. The fact is that given enough time, the U.K. will simply cease to exist as an independent nation.

we will slowly and inexorably give up every aspect of our special status in exchange for short-term supposed benefits, and rachet our way into the amorphous blob of the EU superstate.
Exactly. The process has been going on slowly ever since joining (the treaty even contains that "ever closer union" clause). Why do EU supporters somehow think that it will not continue?

Due to the lack of correctly placed funding to the border forces the UK does not defend it's border. How often have you passed through and airport and not had your passport checked? The Schengen area applies only in principle, not in practice. Effectively, our border checks are exported to Ireland, Austria, Spain, Poland or anywhere for the periods of time when passports and visas are not checked.

On the note of the EU expanding it's borders beyond Europe, the case in point must be Ukraine and Russia. Russia does not want Europe encroaching nearer to its borders; see the unease that was caused in Georgia too. If Turkey's border with Russia becomes the new border of the EU, and the EU gets it's own military, then expect big trouble. Both of these events are plausible.

Nozzle

Due to the lack of correctly placed funding to the border forces the UK does not defend it's border. How often have you passed through and airport and not had your passport checked? The Schengen area applies only in principle, not in practice. Effectively, our border checks are exported to Ireland, Austria, Spain, Poland or anywhere for the periods of time when passports and visas are not checked.
I can't remember a single instance that I've been through an airport, ferry terminal, etc that's any airport or any ferry terminal in or outside of EU, and my passport has not been checked.

Sorry, I can remember one instance, on a flight from Vietnam to Laos! Landing in Vientiane, the airport was such a small affair it was not even staffed, going back perhaps ten years or more, now. Or it might have been Luang Probang to see the Plain of Jars.

On the note of the EU expanding it's borders beyond Europe, the case in point must be Ukraine and Russia. Russia does not want Europe encroaching nearer to its borders; see the unease that was caused in Georgia too. If Turkey's border with Russia becomes the new border of the EU, and the EU gets it's own military, then expect big trouble. Both of these events are plausible.
Nozzle
We've dealt with the possibility of Turkey entering into the EU in great detail already.
You're just re-hashing old scare tactics 'cos you've run out of sensible argument.

But it was Nigel who recently said that the Brexit-ers were not concentrating sufficiently on the immigration issue in the Brexit argument.
Perhaps you're just carrying his message.

Last edited:
So we've had different exposure to border checks, your experience is no more valid than mine. Take is as read that passport and visas checks don't happen, either going in-to or out-of the Schengen zone.

Nozzle

I can't remember a single instance that I've been through an airport, ferry terminal, etc that's any airport or any ferry terminal in or outside of EU, and my passport has not been checked.
It depends what exactly you mean by "checked." Do you mean opened, the details and photo inspected and confirmed to be the person in question, or do you just mean somebody seeing you holding a closed passport as you walk through?

I've never been a huge European traveler, but the last time I went to France (1998) the French inspector did look inside and check the details (in Dover - the Channel Tunnel). Going into Spain in the 1980's it was just holding a closed passport (proper British one at that time, not an EU-type) and being waved right through. Ireland doesn't really count because of the long-standing agreement and no passport needed anyway.

Entering the U.S. on a British passport, of course, it's always inspected.

Coming back into the U.K., I think I can recall just one time somebody actually looked inside and I didn't just have a visible British/EU passport in my hand and be waved right through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back