When is it better to remove ALL the plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been working my way around the kitchen walls today removing the areas of plaster that sounded hollow.. I am preparing the walls for a plasterer to come in and patch and skim..

By the time I was done one wall was completely clear of plaster and the others has fairly big sections where the plaster has now been removed (See Photos)..

I am now asking myself if it would be easier for the plasterer (and therefore cheaper) to just completely remove the plaster from the whole wall when it's more than just a couple of small areas, say a third of the wall?

Anyone have any advice?

Also in preparation for the plasterer should I remove the skirts and architraves as well?

Thanks..

View media item 74672View media item 74673View media item 74674

Sponsored Links
When it comes to a situation where there is more off the wall than on it, I would then say remove the lot! And looking at your first two pictures I would recommend that!

It'll NEVER look right. Take it all off and make life a lot easier for the plasterer. It'll actually cost you less time in the end.

Sponsored Links
You could leave the skirts on for a guide for the plasterers and remove and change them if you want after it has been finished ;)

Not the original exam question - but are you doing anything with the electrics in pic 3 before you get it replastered?
Thinking specifically the right angle you currently have

The tail left at the top is for the cooker hood fan.. Pretty much that whole wall will have cupboards along it as well..

The tail left at the top is for the cooker hood fan.. Pretty much that whole wall will have cupboards along it as well..

It might be ok once the socket is in place for the extractor...I'm not sure.
I'd just want to be careful not to put a screw through it with it changing direction.
I'm not a sparky, so I suggest you post the 3rd pic in the electrics forum for a definitive answer. ;)

On the original plaster question, I would strip all in pics 1 and 2 also.
For 3, if it was sound, I would patch in the undercoat (bonding etc) - as there are levels to work to and it's easier for me. Then I'd reskim the whole wall. Hopefully the plasterer you get in would do the full wall reskim at least.

I would suggest that if there are wall cupboards being fitted (not unsurprising in a kitchen!) then the horizontal length as it is, could potentially get a screw through it.
It's not in a safe zone (based on the socket position) and not immediately obvious the horizontal run is there once it is all nicely plastered over.

I'm not a sparky, so I suggest you post the 3rd pic in the electrics forum for a definitive answer.

On the original plaster question, I would strip all in pics 1 and 2 also.
For 3, if it was sound, I would patch in the undercoat (bonding etc) - as there are levels to work to and it's easier for me. Then I'd reskim the whole wall.

I will query the horizontal section with the electrician doing the work..

Plan is to skim all the walls anyway after filling (bonding) the sections that had blown.. Just ended up that more had to be removed than originally thought in some of the walls so as advised its better to just remove the whole lot..

Hopefully all the other rooms in the house aren't as bad although some seem to be.. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back