When is theft not a crime? When it's stealing food.

Sponsored Links
My wife and I have been watching some of the old Granada TV Crown Court stories, and just recently saw one titled "Theft by Necessity" on just this topic: An old man struggling on meager income finds that money has gone astray, and in the meantime he has nothing with which to buy food so takes a few basic items. The defense was what is actually a fairly ancient principle of English law that something which is otherwise unlawful becames lawful through necessity of circumstances. The jury - which you might remember on this show was just invited members of the public who came to their own unscripted verdict - found him not guilty.

six months in jail
hardly in proportion in the first place :mad:

The fine was the funniest bit. How's he supposed to pay 100 Euros when he can't afford to eat?
The six months, well at least he'd be fed.

Sponsored Links
Stealing from multi-billion profit-making Tesco does not have the same consequences as stealing from a shop who's owner i losing money hand over fist.

Not making a comment about the morality of the linked case itself

Then surely someone should be able to steal some clothes to keep themselves warm, and some substance to satisfy their addiction needs? Just in case they otherwise die.

worth noting that it was "cheese and sausages worth €4.07 (£3; $4.50) from a supermarket."

If he had been a pro shoplifter with fifty packets of razorblades or a steak fillet and a lobster, his story would have been less convincing.

I have an idea that, like me, Woody has never been homeless and hungry with no job, no food, and no benefits.

when i was a train driver i would probably on average once every 8 weeks when my meal break was at london victoria offer to take the "homeless and hungary" to mcdonalds to join me in what they fancied as my treat
i in 4 would refuse suggesting booze or drugs was there priority or they didnt like macdonalds :D
i would never give money or ask someone with a dog as the ones with dogs not only tend to get more but would require leaving the dog unatended
my payback was some very interesting and fascinating conversations over a strawberry milk shake big mac and chips :cool:

I have an idea that, like me, Woody has never been homeless and hungry with no job, no food, and no benefits.

I've struggled with no benefits, and had to rely on working. I've had no job and had to live off the money saved from previous 60 hour weeks. So I'm not completely without empathy.

I am with Big all. Provide a person with food but not cash, if they are genuinely hungry enough to feel they have to shop lift then they will be happy to been given food instead of cash. If they insist on cash ""for food"" then they get nothing from me.

I've struggled with no benefits, and had to rely on working. I've had no job and had to live off the money saved from previous 60 hour weeks. So I'm not completely without empathy.
I think your situation is slightly better off than the chap in the story. He had nothing.
I guess it's a case of what do you do when the savings run out and you lose your home, hope and everything? It's quite hard to get back to work without a home and a working history after time on the street so it's not just a case of getting a job.

I think what the Italian courts have done is excellent and common sense. Just a shame they have to steal when so much food gets thrown away when it could just be given to them.

They have dogs because they get extra money from the social, a kind of pet allowance, we pay for it

Ha ha, very funny.

Where did you hear that story?

Sponsored Links
Back