Where can I buy an old-fashioned (cranked) hand drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anywhere, perhaps in the UK, where one can still buy an old-fashioned, hand-cranked hand drill?

I mean the kind that looks, and operates, rather like an old-time egg-beater. These tools could accept the same sort of bits as a modern electric drill, but would be MUCH SAFER for a child. I'm teaching my 9-year-old son simple wood-working, and feel that most modern tools are too hard for a child to control, and would be too dangerous, even the battery-operated drills. Such a hand drill would be good enough to bore through balsa wood, and would at least be a useful way to learn to drill pilot holes and holes for dowels. He could do a lot more joinery without help if he could drill. Any sources for actual HAND-TOOLS anymore? Here in the USA, there are some places that have "pioneer" tools for hand-hewn log cabins, also good sources of planes, but no sources for hand drills.

Sponsored Links
you mean one of these

00011246.jpg

you can get from over here, and i believe they do mail order to all over the world

their site is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back