Where can I find the mains supply tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a 1920s house (semi) and I have no clue where to find the mains supply tap/indoor stop valve. Where is it located? I doubt we have a cistern as I read somewhere that cisterns are generally found in more modern houses. From the instructions here, it would appear that it is a nut on a pipe of some sort? Any help would be really appreciated. We're keen to find this in order to replace the washer for our bathroom tap.

Thanks!
Krow

Sponsored Links
Hi Kevplumb,
Thanks for your prompt response! :)
I had a go at following the pipework in the kitchen,but it bends up into the brick/concrete wall after less than a meter. So I decided to check the washing machine pipes downstairs.

The hot and cold water ones are pretty clear cut (in our 'cellar'/under-room) until the hot water one branches upwards again into the ceiling, and but the cold water one branches sideways to another pipe (which has a tap) but where it then goes to (upwards again) I'm not sure.

So I guess my next question would be - at which level does one usually find the mains supply tap? If its at the basement/cellar level then I guess the tap mentioned earlier might well be the cold water one?

Sponsored Links
my house was built in 1907 the mains supply goes into next door then through the wall to my house can see it dissapear next door but cant see it appear my side so i assume it goes up under the upstairs floor to the imersion area 2 0r 3 foot away and enters the tank which is in a fully enclosed cupboard with only accses to the top

so in short i have to turn my supply off in next doors front garden as do all houses in my road[that havent been modified]

This is only an amateur opinion, but it may be possible you don't have a mains stop cock. My last house didn't, and I had to fit one.

Try looking at the pavement outside your house. There may be a small iron trap which is the water board's stopcock. It needs a special socket key to turn it off, but they are easily available (whether that's legal or not I don't know!). You can also try to imagine the route the pipe would take from that stopcock to where it would enter your house, which would give you an idea where to start looking for your own stopcock.

But you may find there is only one outside stopcock which feeds several houses, but it still might give you an idea of where your supply was coming from.

common locations for internal stop taps 1920's houses they are usually just above the ground floor level

behind front door,
kitchen (under original sink position)
near the front of the lean too (covered way down the side of a semi)
more unusual.....under the stairs

brumylad said:
common locations for internal stop taps 1920's houses they are usually just above the ground floor level

behind front door,
kitchen (under original sink position)
near the front of the lean too (covered way down the side of a semi)
more unusual.....under the stairs

Brumylad seems to have most common places covered there but if it was round here I would be looking for a loose floorboard somewhere near the front door

If the tap is fed from a tank then you may be able to tie up a balltap to repair bath tap especially if its the hot.

Best to find out where it does turn off though, because if you have an emergency not being able to isolate the water could mean an even bigger problem

Yes but Eagles get to poo on people while they are alive and slugs get sqaushed underfoot, plus slugs eat dog poo, yeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Yes but Eagles get to poo on people while they are alive and slugs get sqaushed underfoot, plus slugs eat dog poo, yeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk.
Slugs are impervious to poo, can live on dog poo alone when there is no other food and at least manage to make a slimy mess on the boot that squashes them. With the hope of causing the person who stands on them to slip, fall and impale themselves on a nearby spike. So don't underestimate slugs d:p

Here are some places I have found cocks (now, now!) in older houses:

Morning room, lounge, corner of hall, cellars, utility rooms (sometimes what used to be the old scullery), parlour, and even one outside on the back wall!!

In my 30's semi, it was by the back door, directly underneath the cold and hot water tanks (and also the bathroom)....

did a bathroom the other week...no stop cock inside the house.
found outside one half way between the house and the neighbours.
kncoked on neighbours..no reply. turned water off...did work, putting in some isolators quicly.
a neighbour from 4 houses down comes up says ..."u dont anything about the water going off do u ?"
who me....no....not me....
Offered to put in an internal stop cock and explained the advantages !!! but still said no ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back