Where do I get a "soundproof lead-lined box"...?

Sponsored Links
Lead has the interesting property of being a non-resonant metal so is useful as a sound barrier. For most practical purposes, soundproofing depends on mass of the barrier and sealing of the joints.

It's quite common for people to be required to give up their mobile phones and other equipment when entering a secure area. More often they are put in lockers outside the area so don't need soundproofing. the secure area might have metal mesh in the walls to block wireless eavesdropping.

If you use a smartphone or pad you may be aware that the apps are a s

I don't know if they sweep the politicos for hidden bugs such as recording pens or briefcases. They are very easily available. But politicians are a bunch of untrustworthy villains.

If you have a smartphone or tablet you ought to know that the apps set their permissions. Typically they will have the power to turn on location tracking (even if you have set it "off"), use wifi (even if you have turned it off) turn on camera and microphone, read your contacts, planner and email. Have a look at applications settings and you will be shocked. If for example you are in Ukraine or Palestine you should assume that your phone is under constant surveillance, which will be stepped up if your location is recognised, or you call a recognised phone no, or are in a bar or cafe when someone else is in there.

Last edited:
google "CRT tempest kuhn" for some interesting papers on remote reading of computor screens through brick walls.

Sponsored Links
OK, but where do I get such a lead-lined box..? I simply want to know WHERE to find it. I Googled it and it's all very confusing.

Would be made to measure, make a box, then line it with lead. Not everything is available ''off the shelf''.

I have no idea how to line a box with led or what kind of box etc.

And there is really no one selling it..?

But in any event, I guess the question is, does anyone know HOW to line a box with led..?

The most obvious person to contact to line a box with lead will be a traditional plumber - not the modern type who mess about with PVC pipes, but the old fashioned variety who work with lead pipework, lead guttering, lead flashing and boxings on roofs, etc. The majority of these guys seem to work for the larger roofing contractors (who generally call them "lead men" or "lead dressers") but there are some independents out there.

To DIY you need to be able to cut lead (Stanley knife and straight edge), boss it into shape inside a templet (bossing hammer/mallet, lead dressing sticks or for smaller stuff chase sticks) and finally to solder the corner joints where you are joining pieces (ultra heavy soldering iron or portable gas brazer/welder). Trimming is done with sheet metal shears and lead files and you may also need a chasing-in stick to finih into rebates, etc. Useful advice: wash your hands after handling lead but before drinking or eating (obvious, really, but.......)

Some undertakers may still know how or where to get a lead lined coffin.

And Project Tempest was far from being a hoax.

I have no idea how to line a box with led or what kind of box etc.

And there is really no one selling it..?

But in any event, I guess the question is, does anyone know HOW to line a box with led..?
I know how to do it - the minimum thickness you can buy @ a builders merchant is code 3 - 3 pounds weight per square foot - it can be leadburned ( welded) using oxy acetelyne kit. Thing is to be radio proof? it may not need to be as thick - I remember that toothpaste tubes used to be made out of a lead alloy;)

The lead is not for blocking radio signals. There are easier and lighter ways. It is to block sound and vibration which a device could record for later use. The concepts of Tempest Screening are not even secret, though some of the techniques are.

"lead lined box" might even just be ignorant politician's or journalist's shorthand for phone lockers.

The Telegraph article is from 2013, BTW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back