Where does the PRV need to go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hoping to find an answer on this as I've read varying opinions across the net.

We had a new bathroom installed earlier in the year and part of that is a Mira thermostatic shower fed from our Greenstar 30si combi boiler. We have powerful mains pressure and our builder installed a PRV (initially set to 1 bar) on the cold feed to the shower. This is behind the bath panel.

Everything was fine for a while (in fact I'm not sure what could have changed) but then it started fluctuating in temperature and more recently emitting a loud whine that can get really loud. Scared the **** out of me last night, it was that bad. :LOL:

I've spoken to Mira today and they've told me the PRV is far too close to the shower and in fact it should be on the main as it comes into the house - ie before the boiler and everything else - set at 3 bar. They don't believe it's a problem with the shower itself because they had me test turning a tap on when it's whining and sure enough the noise stops instantly.

However my builder says he's fitted loads of showers and laughed off the idea of reducing the pressure to the whole house saying he's never done this. For now he's asked me to try increasing the setting on the PRV and see if it sorts the problem.

So my question is, who is right? Should the PRV be near my stop tap and reduce the pressure to the entire house, or is my current setup okay and simply needs adjusting? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I always thought that the hot and cold should be of equal pressure, so I'd say Mira was right. Could you not fit another PRV on the hot supply to the shower?

Sponsored Links
I always thought that the hot and cold should be of equal pressure, so I'd say Mira was right. Could you not fit another PRV on the hot supply to the shower?

Aye well it says in the installation manual for the shower that the pressures should be nominally equal, that's why I agreed with Mira initially too but I'm just a homeowner so I feel a bit daft arguing with someone who does it for a living.

Yeah I suppose another PRV is a possibility, but is there a reason for doing this rather than just moving the one I've already bought to the position Mira have said it should be at?

Just in relation to what I said about nothing changing, the only thing I can think of is that we had our boiler serviced after the bathroom was completed. No parts were replaced and the plumber actually said it was running perfectly well. Is there any way he could have upset something? Or is the noise and the fluctuating temperature from the shower purely down to this pressure business?

OP, I put it as simply as I could before.

builders as a rule, know naff all about plumbing. If you asked me about foundation footings you would get just as daft an answer as your builder gave you about pressure reducing valves and their application.

He might be a nice guy, but if he was spot on, he would have had a plumber to do the plumbing.

On my car club we have a guy going on and on how the manufacture can't find the fault on his car. Yet he freely admits to us (not the maker) that he has had the engine tuned. So his car is doing something it isn't supposed to and is using its resources in a way it was designed (by people with a lot more resources than the monkeys that played with it). Will be interesting to see what happens when the warranty bill is generated.

Plumber? No he ain't.... Otherwise he would understand unbalanced supplies. He is a chancer with a nice attitude. We have one here that is a favourite poster boy for all sorts of media and manufactures. As it turns out - he isn't qualified to do squat. Doesn't stop the perception though. Also, next time you watch Rogue Traders or Watchdog... think about how matt Al-not-so-bright is looking a bit lonely. Perceptions mean squat. turns out that Portuguese prat was a benefits cheat... who'd have thought eh????

If you are going to balance the pressure - which is what you need to do - and you have high main pressure - which you apparently have - then you need to stick the prv somewhere before the hot and cold separate at the very least.

Thanks for the reply.

Any other opinions? Builder is still suggesting I just need to up the PRV setting but wouldn't it just make more sense to have them equal pressures throughout the system? I'd rather not have to have to alter this again further down the line.

I've bought a cheap pressure tester to put on the outside tap and see what pressure the mains (and therefore the hot water to the shower) is coming in at. What constitutes a relatively high pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back