Where have I gone wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where have I gone wrong?
Wiring extractor fan with timer. That does not require an earth.
From fused switch box I have taken 4 cables,
Brown Always live and Grey switched live, both connected to Live in fused switch box.
Black neutral.
Earth Green Yellow.
Into 2 pole pull cord switch I have wired as follows.
Earth to earth terminal. Ends here.
Black neutral to L 2 on in side to L1 on load side.
Grey to L3 on inside to L4 on load side.
Brown it connected to and out of chocolate connection (forgot the correct name)
On the fan Brown goes to top connection Always live.
Black goes to middle connection Neutral.
Grey goes to bottom connection, Switched connection.
Fan does not work, in the fan both Brown and Grey are alive all the time pulling switch cord makes no difference.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A 2 pole switch should have L1/L2 and N1/N2. L1/L2/L3/L4 suggests an intermediate switch, so the problem is most likely the wrong type of switch.

However a single pole switch will do - connected in the grey wire in your setup. Black connected through in the same way as the brown.

HI, JUST CAME ON AND SEEN YOUR DILEMMA. IT'S SLIGHTLY CONFUSING THE WAY YOU'VE DESCRIBED IT, BUT I'LL TRY AND WORK YOU THROUGH IT AS BEST AS POSSIBLE O.K. ?
IT WOULD APPEAR THAT YOUR SWITCHING THE NEUTRAL THROUGH THE PULL SWITCH ? THE LIVE FEED YOU'VE TAKEN THROUGH TO THE FAN,AS WELL AS THE SWITCHED LIVE FROM THE PULL SWITCH, BUT IF YOU'VE PICKED UP THIS CIRCUIT FROM A SWITCHED FUSED ( DOUBLE POLE ) THEN YOU SHOULD TAKE THE NEUTRAL STRAIGHT TO THE FAN. THE ONLY ONE YOU NEED SWITCH IS THE SWITCHED LIVE. IN ADDITION, IS IT A TWO WAY PULL SWITCH THAT YOUR USING ? IF IT IS, YOU'LL ONLY USE C AND L1 FOR YOUR CONNECTIONS OK. HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND AND IT SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM.? GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER, ONLY WORK ON ISOLATED CIRCUITS !!! REMOVE THE FUSE OR mcb BEFORE COMMENCING ANY WORK.

Hi Pedro 140259 and Flameport,
Thanks for your posts, just tried connecting Black neutral straight thru to fan, leaving grey in the switch, but fan still did not work, will get a single pole switch tomorrow.
But I am still a bit confused as to why the neon light on the switch does not come on, when the cord is pulled, also why Grey at the fan is always alive, can only think that the switch I have got must be faulty.
Any way will let you know how I get on tomorrow,
Thanks again. Hardley

Sponsored Links
Alternatively, line neutral and earth from the Switched FCU to the single pole pull switch.
At the pull switch connect line to common and neutral to terminal block and earth to earth block.
Still at the pull switch connect 3 Core and Earth - brown to common (permanent live) grey (Switch live-brown sleeving) to L1 and black to neutral block - earth to earth block.

Then at the extractor brown to PL - grey to SL and black to N.

Remember to switch off the FCU and remove the fuse when working on the fan or pull cord. Also double check that the FCU is double pole.

Just found the wiring diagram for this fan.
From switch/fused supply, both Brown (L)and Black (N) go straight to fan.
From (L) before it connects to fan, connect Grey (switched Live) Grey then goes to switch and then to fan Timer connection, but before Grey goes into fan a wire comes off it and goes to Black (N), in this wire it shows a circle with X in it.( What does this mean)
So would I require a single or double Pole switch?

Stop complicating things.

Either follow the instructions of flameport - or myself.

Here is a simple wiring diagram of what set up I think you have or should have.
If you have the modern colour cable then substitute the red/black T&E for brown/blue. The switch in the centre is a pull switch 2 way just use Common and L1.

just to try and simply it for you,as it seems your getting confused even though you have the wiring diagram. if you have the live neutral & earth coming in to the switch, of whichever type you have ( and i agree with one of the replies that it sounds as though you have an intermediate switch), all you need is a single one way switch to enable you to switch the 'switched'
live off and on. Externally to the bathroom your supply to the switch and subsequently the fan, should be taken through a double pole isolator. your switching the grey ' switched ' live so thats the one to connect to 'live' in and 'live ' out to the fan. the permanent live will proceed through the switch without being connected to anything. the circle with an ' x ' inside signify's a lamp. the reason being is that the supply would normally be taken from the lamp / light, as when you switch the light on your fan will start also and continue to run whilst the light is on. If you struggle any further I suggest you do the donkey work part of putting the fan in and call in a spark to connect up and test the circuit as under part p of the building regs, all modifications within a bath or shower room must be notified to the building inspector. I'm not saying everyone does it, but that's the regs, so think about how much you want to do and ask for a quote for the rest from a suitably qualified spark. it may make sense for you in the end ? good luck with whichever route you take and remember if your doing it yourself 'ALWAYS' isolate the circuit !!! pull the fuse or turn the mcb to ' OFF ' before you start to do any work on it. !

Stop complicating things.

Either follow the instructions of flameport - or myself.

Here is a simple wiring diagram of what set up I think you have or should have.
If you have the modern colour cable then substitute the red/black T&E for brown/blue. The switch in the centre is a pull switch 2 way just use Common and L1.
View media item 34209

Lets hope the op doesn't know that the symbol for a fuse is rectangle, which your diagram clearly and incorrectly shows in the neutral conductor.
:oops: Thanks for that amended.

Pedro - I know that you are in Clwyd and Hardley is in Norfolk, but you don't need to shout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back