Where is best place for Auto Air vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to drain down, clean and desludge my radiators. I will obviously adding descaler etc but have been reading up on the Alladin auto air vents. My quandry is where the best place (on the rads of course!!) to put it/them and will having it affect my refilling the system?
I've read that you only need one and it is best placed where the radiator most prone to air intake is.
Do I just need one and can I put it anywhere in the system? I was leaning towards putting it on the radiator nearest our front door (first rad in the system I think!!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Consider fitting these as a last resort if you are constantly having to bleed your system.Find the reason for air getting in.A well designed and maintained system is not prone to air intake.Air and water in a system equals corrosion.

IMO they are not worth while, as a well designed and maintained system will not entrain any air or produce any gases after the first few weeks of operaton, when all the dissolved gases and trapped air pockets from refilling it have been cleared from the system.

As the instructions say, the best rad. is the one that accumulates most of the air / gases in YOUR system. That varies even in otherwise identical houses because of minor differences in how level or otherwise the various pipe runs are. In our last house, that was to be the bathroom rad. which just happened to be the one closest to the boiler. Where I live now, it is one of the bedrooom radiators about 2/3 the way around the system.

Thanks for the reply. I may have worded some of this wrongly. The system is sound with no air intake, I thought by installing an auto vent it would save time bleeding all the rads once the system starts refilling.
To recap:
Drain down, desludge, clean and finally refill. I suppose the best course would be to bleed rads as I go and forget about the auto vent or can I incorporate one in some way?

Sponsored Links
You lazy bugger, i hope you have a 95 rad system, you would need 2 fit one 2 every rad upstairs anyway, so its quicker to bleed them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back