Where is the top of my soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a first floor maisonette with my bathroom above the bathroom of the guy downstairs. It seems we share a soil stack as it appears to be boxed in in the corner of my bathroom. Now, the boxing runs all the way to the ceiling but I can't find the top of the stack in my loft.

My question is: does the soil stack go up above the highest entry point on it? In other words, is it likely that the soil stack is just a foot or so higher than the point where all my waste pipes join it, or will it be 7 foot higher? I don't want to start ripping out the boxwork and find a big smelly pipe there!

Sponsored Links
i believe it should go out through the roof, but on the other hand it may have a "special valve" it allows air to be sucked in when water is flushed down the pipe, this saves going through the roof, perhaps you have one of these?

6261_l.jpg

Definitely doesn't go through the roof so I think you're right. Looks like the boxing in is staying then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back