where should scaffolding go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a loft conversion done and the company doing it has had the scaffold put at the back of the house even though it would have been more sensible to erect it at the front and now means bringing all the material round and wrecking the grass.
:eek:
Is there a ny rule/law which says it must be at the rear of the house.
:?:
Can I ask them to repair the garden at the end of the job? ;)

Sponsored Links
yes they have broken the law erecting the scaffold at the rear of the house instead of the front and you should call the police immediately. :eek:

seriously, its them thats doing the job and their decision where the scaffold should be erected.

if they damage your garden in the process of your build they should reinstate it as it was when they arrived.

though you should expect some disruption dont you think.

yes they have broken the law erecting the scaffold at the rear of the house instead of the front and you should call the police immediately. :eek:

seriously, its them thats doing the job and their decision where the scaffold should be erected.

if they damage your garden in the process of your build they should reinstate it as it was when they arrived.

though you should expect some disruption dont you think.

Ha Ha--humour :LOL: :LOL: --what I meant was something like building regs.
I did expect some damage but it needn't have been all of the back lawn. It could just have been a small bit in the front.
:confused:
Oh well,my kids like the mud :)

why not ask them?

They may have thought that you would not want the disruption at the front.
or it may be that they are going to put more up at the front later?

Sponsored Links
Do you have roof windows going at the back of the house and not at the front?

No, windows front and rear,seems to be no reason to work from the back other than that is where the company asked for it to be--the builder doing the job wants it at the front, I wanted it at the front, but for some reason, it's at the back. It is more inconvenient for everyone.
I have the arranged to meet one of the company directors on Monday and he can explain why-----after all---I am paying the bill,so if the man doing the job ain't happy and I ain't happy where do I stand?? :rolleyes:

In the front garden :idea: and say " I Want it Here"

If you or a neighbour have any cars on the drive, bits of debris can bounce onto them very easily, better to work at the back keep the dirt and mess there.

My bet is that they are erecting the scaffold themselves rather than paying a scaffold company megga bucks. If it's at the back no-one will call the Health and Safety Executive. It puts a grand in their pockets. ;)

My bet is that they are erecting the scaffold themselves rather than paying a scaffold company megga bucks. If it's at the back no-one will call the Health and Safety Executive. It puts a grand in their pockets. ;)

Wow! Some expensive scaffolding there Joe :D

If you or a neighbour have any cars on the drive, bits of debris can bounce onto them very easily, better to work at the back keep the dirt and mess there.

We agreed alternative parking arrangements with the neighbours---but there is a nice conservatory one side at the back and an extension on the other house....they can drop the debris on there. :eek:
They just plain got it wrong and won't admit it.

To be honest it does'nt matter if the scaffold is set up upside down and stretches to the moon, the most important thing is they do a nice job.

When the jobs finished the scaffold will be gone and forgotten about but the job will always be there to look at.

Try not to be a pain and pee them off by moaning about it too much, if they don't like you they'll just get the job done and dusted as quick as possible, if they like you they'll do it as if its their own house doing it with that little bit of extra care.

In my fitting days working on the roofs on two houses a week for ten years I got to meet some great customers and some horrible ones, the ones who did us tea and bacon sandwiches in the morning used to get a few extras like i'd run up the roof and point the 5 loose ridge tiles even though it was nothing to do with the main job we were getting paid to do.

Scrumpyjack i'm not saying your a horrible customer, lol just saying in general the customers who didn't moan used to get a few freebies/a more perfect job :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back