Where to buy blocks

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by a9192shark, 25 Jun 2003.

This topic originated from the How to page called Wood block / Parquet floors.

1. a9192shark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a 1960's flat with parquet flooring. I want to remove a stone fireplace and replace the floor with new blocks. The blocks are 140 x (140/3)mm.
    Thank you,
    A.

2. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    have you tried a reclemation yard?

3. a9192shark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have only looked at 'high street' DIY shops. They all appear to have 5 blocks and not 3 blocks per square.

I will try a few companies on the web and also look at reclamation yards- thanks,

Alan.

4. cobweb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A good old-fashioned carpenter/joiner could knock you some blocks up in any timber you could name. Take one of the originals with you though so he can measure it and examine it for patina (which he may be able to match with dye and wax).

5. geoff55

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just, after 12 months, laid my hands on some old Imperial sized parquet finger blocks. The only way to source these (unless you get a chippy to knock some up for you) is to regularly contact all architectural salvage suppliers and hope they will come up trumps.
    The major problem nowadays seems to be that old floors are not removed, merely gobbled up by a floor cruncher and disposed of. Time = money = profit rules all.

6. a9192shark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies,
    After 6 months I have made little progress on my flat (due to a lack of time). However I am hoping that a chippy will be able to match the floor.
    Cheers,

Alan.