Where to buy hardwood for garden bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for this basic question - I looked for a sticky guide as I'm sure this type of question must come up quite a bit. I have no idea about buying hardwood so would appreciate your help in staying away from rip off merchants.

At the moment all I am looking for is something suitable to rip to make garden bench slats to put our bench back in working order. Teak or oak or mahogany would be nice.

There are ebayers selling pre-ripped slats, and I wonder whether I could do it myself any cheaper - I have no idea what is a good price.

I don't even know if building/timber merchants would carry woods like this or if I need to go online.
Any tips most appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to find a proper timber merchant rather than a builders merchant (they are NOT the same thing). Ask if they can offer a cutting service and possibly if they can plane to order from your cutting list - and supply the cutting list, not a nebulous quantity like "about 20 linear metres of about 3 x 2in". You will need to accept that there is always cutting and planing loss - circa 4mm for every cut and 3mm for every planed face. As a carpenter I am wary of on line timber sales. I've found the prices high and the quality iffy in general.

Sponsored Links
Go to your local joinery shop and take a sample of the original . I'd advise Iroko for durability and it's not too expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back