where to buy ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this off cut in Whittens yard and dyed it yellow. The veneer is brilliant and has lot of colour to it if not dyed

I now want a few sheets of it for a room but they tell me it is just old packing crate ply which I do not believe. I understand the veneer is a good mix of birch sap and heartwood.

Any idea where I can buy plywood that is similar to this. Most places I go to seem to think it is all birch and you just take what is on offer. I understand you can get sap wood ply a mix or heartwood.

But where ?

Thanks for any leads

Attachments

• WP_20160929_001.jpg
    WP_20160929_001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
it looks to me like Spruce ply, as used in flooring and other structural jobs. In which case it is often about 18mm thick.

You can buy ply with a decorative veneer on at least one face from places that sell timber. The decorative veneer may be very thin. You haven't said what you want to use it for.

Without saying where you are, you will not get many suggestions.

Sorry, I am in Peckham, South East London. I want to use it to line a wall On a full sheet it looks like petrified trees. On the label it says Birch but. as i said my local timber yard say it is just old packaging ply, They prefer the clear finish with no blemishes. I prefer this with the so called blemishes. for a single wall.

OI will also look up spruce though Thanks

Spruce looks like that (a bit rough IMO) because it will be covered up by carpets, plasterboard or cladding. Also look for "shuttering ply" or "carcasing" (?) or "structural ply"

Wickes sell it but around London there will be plenty of proper timber merchants.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back