Where to buy wood at reasonable prices?

Was just pricing some mahogany at murdocks.
90m of 200 x 50mm = £1100. (rough sawn)

The same in soft wood £400 quid. That would be enough lumber to build 5 frames with the dimensions you have.

Sponsored Links
A proper timber yard or sawmill is always (in my experience) a LOT cheaper than any diy store.
They're not open late though!

On the mainstream basic materials they come pretty close sometimes.. I'm sure i get cement at something like 320 a bag from wicks and 318 firm my local independent bm. Ply from the bm is 18+ vat a sheet and 25 from wicked so not a lot in it if one is making a table. Not with cement, of course

I called the two timber yards yesterday and both were actually more expensive than Wickes for the exact same materials!

Sponsored Links
Went with Wickes in the end and they actually charged me £120 for what I thought was £153's worth of stuff, even though I didnt hit the price break quantities 👍

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back