Where to get security fixings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting some steel bars to some windows and need some security fixings to hold them in place. Obviously I don't want to use regular fixings, because I don't want a thief to easily remove them. However, at the same time, I want the option to remove them in the future, without having to destroy the brickwork as a result.

I thought to use a mixture of 2 or 3 different security heads on whatever screws/bolts. Does anyone know of any that would be suitable?

The mounting holes in the steel frame are around 13m-14mm in diameter. I'd like them to have a minimum length of about 50mm.

One way bolts would be the obvious choice, but as I say, I want to have the option to be able to remove them in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I looked on that site, but only see one-way fixings. I need a way to remove them in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Though I'll need something that is going to grip well, when put into brick.

As for removing them, well for change of use in the future, etc. I don't like the idea of one way. I'd rather not have them put in such a way, that it will cost a lot of money to take out if I ever need to - new window for example. Someone could remove them if they were well equipped, sure, but if two or three different types of security heads/fittings are used, the odds of a thief having those exact tools, would be extremely unlikely. The tops of the bolts will be hidden, so no one will be able to see the fitting types.

but if two or three different types of security heads/fittings are used, the odds of a thief having those exact tools, would be extremely unlikely

Agreed. The odds of them having a single bar to lever them out are much lower though.

A 4x4 and a chain will dispose of domestic bars.

Agreed. The odds of them having a single bar to lever them out are much lower though.
Levering out the bolts you mean? It would be extremely hard given the bolts will be fitted in tight. The frame of the bars will be ok, as it'll be within the window reveal.

A 4x4 and a chain will dispose of domestic bars.

Yea, I suppose that is always a possibility. I'm not sure anything can be done about that. There's no road near by, but there is a dirt track about 3m away, with a 7ft wall in between
Might be worth looking again - the clue is on the front page of the site where it says "Removable & Non-Removable Fittings"

http://www.securityfastenersandfixings.co.uk/Info/security-construction-fixings-9.aspx

As the other guy said, they only have non-removable for sale. No luck finding removable anywhere, unfortunately.

The bars need to be min 20mm in diameter, welded within a 10mm flat plate frame. The frame should have more flat plates within it if it is a large size as thieves use scissor jacks in between the bars to bend them out of the way.

Use 8" standard wall anchors going through flanges on the frame and into the brick work behind it. Weld the wall anchor to the frame so that it CANNOT be opened/removed.

That's the securest way of doing it.

If you want to remove this in the future, simply use a grinder with a cutting disk on it and cut through the flange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back