Where to hide cable blocks for wall/ceiling lights

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by thintony, 31 Mar 2012.

1. thintony

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am replacing 2 wall lights and 2 ceiling lights in my new house. I have found that in three of the four lights a cable block was in the back of the light mounting wrapped in electrical tape (the other is a ceiling rose). I have been doing a bit of research to find out whether or not tape is a suitable way of protecting a cable block. The instructions for the new lights suggest they are but a bit of research on the internet suggests that the chocboxes are a better idea as they act as a layer of insulation in their own right.

The problem I have is that in none of the lights I have will a choc box fit inside the light fitting. I presume the only way around this is to make the hole where the cable comes through larger and hide a box in the cavity. So is a cable block and tape satisfactory (I guess it must have been 15 years ago when the wiring was done)? If not do I have to make a hole in the wall or is there a mini chocbox I can use?

2. Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    presumably at the connector blocks you have 4 terminals and not just 3?

3. 17thman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    do you have any nice photos?

4. 17thman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    as long as the connector blocks are within the accessory and the outersheath of the cables entering the accessory/emerging from plaster or ceiling is still intact as they enter, then that is acceptable. your ceiling rose should accomodate this. Some wall light fittings, if they have a switched live are difficult to terminate in a small space. You can split the connectors into individuals to help find space and/or knock a small bit of wall/plaster out behind the fitting.

5. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is not satisfactory to either hide joints within walls or insulate terminal connection blocks.
    If the cable lengths are long enough they should enter the accessory/fitting, where they can be then placed in a terminal connection block and no need to tape or choc within accessory.
    If the only option is for the joints to be within wall or floor, the best method would be by use of a MF junction

6. thintony

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your replies. My plan A is definitely to fit the connection in the light mounting and the cables are long enough. There just isn't space for anything more protective than the screw cable block provided with the light. If that is ok then there isn't really a problem.

7. bowlingo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any chance of a picture?

8. OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A connection block within the fitting, without the use of a choc box, is acceptable.