Where to locate a room stat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a two bedroom bungalow built in 1980. The room thermostat is presently located in an internal passageway where it was installed when the house was built. It does not work well because when she goes to bed she closes all of the doors (for fire and security alarm reasons) it does not warm up in there in the morning when the heat comes on, as being internal it has no radiator. During the evening the internal passage stays warm, but we shiver as the rest of the house cools and the heating stays off.

In addition, the thermostat is on the kitchen side of the passage with the cooker just the other side of the wall. (It was built like this good eh.) When the cooker is on, the wall gets warm and so the heating is off (in fact the thermostat sometimes won't click on until 27 degrees when she's cooking)

I am struggling to find a better location for the stat. Here are the nominations:

South facing lounge warmed well even by winter sun. however she has an inset flame effect gas fire which she uses on dull days to "brighten the place up"

The bedrooms are both at the back. The rads there have trs's set real low as she likes a cool bedroom. It's not really practical to put the thermostat in the guest room as I don't think guests would appreciate her coming in to adjust it.

Bathroom - To hot & humid, electrical safety issue?

Kitchen - Too hot when cooking.

And that's it, it's a small bungalow.

Any one got any bright ideas?

Sponsored Links
You might as well put it in the main living room, but as far as you can get from the sun and the fire and the radiator.

p.s. if you get a wireless one (or two) you could move them around to find the best spot.

Sponsored Links
Salus do a nice woreless one for a little over 50 notes plus, or towerstat do a really naf one for the same (naf because it has times but only if you do everything on the hour in your house)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back