Which 18v twinpack - Bosch or Makita?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some trouble deciding between:

The Bosch:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-18v-li-ion-twin-pack-combi-drill-impact-driver/65222
(£250)

And the Makita equivalent:
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/0088381070225
(£339)

Makita Pros: 3.0 Ah batteries, Joblight with afterglow :), slightly lighter weight, it seems on balance more people buy Makita.

Bosch Pros: Massive 160Nm torque on impact driver (145 with Makita), possibly 3 yr warranty (not sure if that applies to cordless or not), most of my other stuff is Bosch. Cheaper.

I've only got one Makita tool, a corded depth-stop screwdriver, which hasn't worked too well, doesn't seem to want to keep to a constant depth, but people seem to swear by them when it comes to cordless. I see less feedback about the Bosch cordless range, so don't know if no news is good news.

Anyone tried both, or like to comment on either one? I'm mainly interested in the performance of the impact driver.

cheers,
S.

Sponsored Links
i was in the same boat a few months ago mate, used makita for donkeys years without a hitch, but also own a fair amount of bosch stuff aswell, it was the 3.0Ah batteries that swung it for me, means i can pretty much do a full days graft with a recharge( dependant on what am doing mind)

Another vote for the Makita LXT range.

Solid kit that handles all thrown at it.

Sponsored Links
foxhole: Thanks, out of stock last night when I ordered, back in stock today. Went with FFX tools Makita in the end for a tenner extra.

I hope I made the right decision! There are about 3 or 4 models of 18v impact driver from Makita and I'm very confused as to what they all do. The BTD140Z is the most common and included with the twinpack. I'm hoping it will do the job (fixing stud work).

It was interesting comparing Screwfix prices with FFX on Makita stuff.

Makita Battery 18v 3.0 Ah: FFX Tools: £69, Screwfix: £139.99
Makita Charger: FFX Tools: £38, Screwfix: £79.99

The prices are so different it's like they're different items. Or maybe it's just Screwfix going all out for profit. The markings on the battery are slightly different. <shrug>.

anyhow, thanks for the replies.
S.

You'll not regret your purchase.
The 140 is a godsend.

Just beware the drill though (451). It has some serious grunt in there so watch yer wrists if the drill bit jams.

The BTD140Z is the most common and included with the twinpack. I'm hoping it will do the job (fixing stud work).
It will. They are a staple of many joiners. Been using one today to frame out a stair well

It was interesting comparing Screwfix prices with FFX on Makita stuff.

Makita Battery 18v 3.0 Ah: FFX Tools: £69, Screwfix: £139.99
I'll throw in a couple of alternatives for Makita battery packs. Tools Down who do a 3.0Ah 18 volt Li-Ion pack for £48.99 or if you prefer to deal with a more established supplier, Axminster who retail a similar product at £49.96. Unlike a number of 3rd party replacement battery packs these will both work on the Makita DC18RA fast charger, they give the same battery life and are otherwise identical in use./ This I can attest to as I have four of these batteries, two from each supplier. The oldest pair of my non OEM batteries are now nearing 6 months of intensive trade use. EWorth considering if pennies are a priority

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back