Which Alarm Should I Buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I recently moved house and discovered that the wired alarm system doesn't function. Had a couple companies come to quote for repairing it - but both felt it was beyond economic repair as the wires to the PIRs had been pulled out, etc. They quoted for basic wireless systems. But, if I am having a new wireless system I'd like to install it myself and spend the extra on better kit.

Based on browsing these forums I have looked Visonic, Galaxy, and Richochet. But, I am unsure what's best. I want very much to avoid having a maintenance contract and having everything go through an external control room. These are things I'd like, but I of course am willing to compromise:

1. Access via my iPhone. Ideally I'd like to be able to see cctv images as well so that I can verify what's going on before I call the cops/drive home.

2. Support for home-automation - again ideally controllable via iPhone/Web browser

3.GSM signal is extremely poor where I live and although I have a Vodafoneresignal, it seems too unreliable to base a security system on. A lot less wiring would be involved if I could use either WiFi or powerline ethernet to connect the box to the outside world.

4. There is currently an external bell on the front of the house, i'd like to wire in a replacement to its AC supply, but connect it wirelessly.

5. I like very much the range of accessories that are available with the Visonic PowerG range - such as the Pir/Camera and the carbon monoxide/smoke detectors.

Thanks very much,

Cheers,

Dot

Sponsored Links
Personally the first thing I'd do is assess what exactly you have. How much of the wiring is still there? are any of the sensors still there?

It may make sense to have a hybrid system with a new hybrid panel. Some new wireless sensors and some wired sensors (new or existing) using existing wiring.

The less wireless sensors you have the less batteries you will have to change. Wired sensors are also likely to be more reliable.

The sensors are still there - but have certainly been there a very long time. The cable has been almost entirely removed, - there are certainly no cables near the main box itself. It is almost as if someone tried to deliberately put it beyond use. There is however a working-ish CCTV system connected to a DVR elsewhere that I'd be pleased if I could incorporate into the new system.

Cheers,
Dot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back