Which alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I live in an end terrace on a fairly exposed and busy road, a back door, kitchen window and front door double locked with porch door - both externals. Dining room window does not open. I don't know how the mind of a thief works but if I was breaking in I'm pretty sure I would not even look at the front door...I go to the back door or kitchen window.

I'm after an alarm for piece of mind with my family at night.

We have very little available spare money so budget is the issue. What would you guys be fitting if it was your house just to give me some protection?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
By the way, a burglar would (and many do) take a chance where an alarm is in situ - they are less likely to take a chance with a large set of canines!

It has to be a dog with proper teeth AND attitude! That is why, in some way the mother-in-law is better: few teeth but LOADS of attitude.

A gravel drive is quite useful too... But this would probably cost more than the alarm! However, the running costs would be less than the dog.

A wired alarm is more like the gravel drive and a wireless one is more like the dog. The wired alarm is harder to install but has lower maintenance requirements. The wireless alarm is much more of a bish, bosh, on the wall but will need feeding batteries. Also, if you find that the signal strengths are weak, it may be unreliable.

If you're confident with wires, go for a wired system. If you have some difficult places to reach, use a hybrid system with some wired zones and some wireless.

That yale system is a low cost, easy to install DIY package, you can have it working in half a day and the batteries will only need changing every year or two.

You say you're after an alarm for piece of mind with your family at night, and it will do that. You can set the front and back door sensors so they chime "bing-bong" every time they are opened, which is useful if an opportunist thief tries the door handle when it is not locked, also if you have small children who might get out into the road.

You can buy an additional siren cheaply on ebay, and fit it, say, on the landing ceiling where it will wake the family, and the loud noise is said to stress an intruder.

If you have a telephone point in your bedroom, you can put the control panel there, so it is well away from interference at a likely entry point, and can dial out before anyone attacks it. It will phone three numbers of your choice. Once the siren has started, disabling the control panel will not stop it. The panel has an internal siren, and you can set, unset and interrogate the system from the panel. In the event of an alarm it will show you which detector(s) were tripped. You can add sensors to your shed or garage if you want. Unless you live under a radio transmitter mast, or your neighbour is an arc welder, you are unlikely to have interference that prevents the signal getting through during a break-in. If you want, you can add wireless smoke detectors to the system, and you can add a large number of additional door or movement dertectors if you have a larger home.

If, as I suggest, the panel is away from the door, you can have an extra keypad concealed near the door which people can use to unset the alarm with a PIN, or set it with a single button when leaving the house or locking up for the night.

If you do decide to get the extras, the cheapest way to do it is usually to buy the basic Yale "Standard" alarm kit (with no control panel) which cobtains a siren, a keypad, and four sensors. Ther parts are fully compatible, you just have to change a setting in the other siren. the sensors from the previous model of Yale alarm are also compatible and very cheap on Ebay. this alarm is nt compatible with the new Easyfit range which is said to be better. Check prices at Ironmongery Direct and DIY sheds as they vary.

I have installed three of these, and find it an advantage to set it up and test it on the kitchen table, before screwing al the parts to the wall. Wrap up the siren in cushions for test as it is very loud.

With more money and/or effort, you can get a better alarm. Some people on this forum do not see the benefits of a low cost, easy to install DIY package, but i do.

It has to be a dog with proper teeth AND attitude! That is why, in some way the mother-in-law is better: few teeth but LOADS of attitude.
Not necessarily, I remember a customer who had, 2, yes 2 Doberman, running free, both hit over the head with a hammer, the result, 2 dead Doberman.
A dog of any flavour is only of real use to make a noise to alert you > If You Are In that is.

Oh, ignore the advertising in another post, he's not the expert he purports to be.

All and more facilities mentioned are available from 99% of ALL makes of control panel get a wired system, much better and easier to fault find if the need becomes necessary.

ignore the untrue allegation of advertising, he's not as truthful as he purports to be.

Europlex wrote:

Not necessarily, I remember a customer who had, 2, yes 2 Doberman, running free, both hit over the head with a hammer, the result, 2 dead Doberman.
A dog of any flavour is only of real use to make a noise to alert you > If You Are In that is.

]

It will have to be the mother-in-law then :cool: [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back