Which Block for rendering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I've got a bricked garage , it has 4 pillars which take the bulk of the weight for the roof etc, but the front has a single skin brick wall and a window, to the left of the window the brick has inevitably decided to start leaning and i wouldn't say is safe anymore, I want to take it down and use breeze block to rebuild it, however I would like to finish it off with some render afterward,

I also have a solid stone wall that I plan on rendering smooth and I want to make it a bit higher so was planning on putting a few blocks flat on top then rendering the whole thing smooth?

I read somewhere I shouldn't use aerated block but this seems the cheaper and easier option as I can also cut them to size with a standard saw,

My question is could I render over these if I also used a mesh an nails before applying not the render and if not could someone point me in the direction of a uk site with the best block to use?

Travis Perkins and b and q both seem to do a 7.3n aerated block and they do a medium density concrete block?

What's the best option with cost and cutting of block in mind for rendering after?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can render aerated block, many people don't like it (I am one of those), as the blocks thermally move quite a lot and make the render fail. You could put a fiber glass mesh in your scratch coat or use eml as you have said . But the far easiest and cheapest it to use a medium, dense or light aggregate block, you can cut them with a bolster and mash/club hammer or buy a cheap 9" angle grinder and put a cheap diamond disk on it. These are also cheaper than aerated blocks.

Last edited:
Lightweigt aerated blocks are too unstable and too high suction for rendering applications. Not impossible but way down on the list on the bezzy scale.

A rendering friend of mine prefers the dense (7n) concrete blocks above all others especially when spreading the polymer based renders.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, aggregated blocks it is, trade point have them for £1.21 a block inc VAT, will go with that and hope I can cut em without shattering them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back