Which central heating programmer should I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a couple of little problems with my boiler/ central heating.
I turned it off when I was replacing the kitchen, when I turned it back on, the boiler just laughed at me. It has leaked from every orifice and when I got it to hold water and ignite then it did so straight away. This lasted about 15 seconds, cough, cough, splutter, bang. Tried again, same again.

Called in a plumber. The flue was not connected to the wall outlet and the valves each side of the water pump needed replacing. The boiler runs beautifully now, the house has never been so warm.

My problem starts here, when the plumber fixed the boiler the programmer would not work, too much water flowed through it during the leaky bit. I have now managed to get the programmer to come on and go through the motions, it doesn't actually seem to affect the boiler at all, the heating is just staying on, keeping the radiators and water hot. (controlled on stats)

I have resigned myself to replacing the timer, but which should I go for? We were happy with the outgoing one, but don't want to shell out money for an out of date bit of kit.

Please help.

The system as it stands is:

Ideal FF240 boiler, pressurised system.
Drayton Tempus 6 programmer
3Kw megaflow hot water tank
Drayton room stat
TRV's

Think that is everything, just trying to save a bit of money, hence not getting the plumber to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Just trying to find out if it is worth getting the same one or should I upgrade, I can get the same one at my local Plumb Centre or on Ebay, but when I looked there are loads of different ones available, is one brand better than others? And which model to go for, not really worried about how difficult it is to fit, I can do electrics, just not too good at plumbing.

I wouldn't get an over-complicated electronic one if I were you, they're clever but if you have a family they will all be trying to change it and setting it wrong.

Sponsored Links
As john says why complicate matters

If you are used the one you have get another?

Out on a limb time and ready to be slammed by the lads but a programmer is only has fancy as the controls it has (zone valves etc) so i dont think there is much to gain in upgrading your existing programmer unless you upgrade the overall control system, creat zones upstairs down stairs etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back