Which first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so which should I do first?

Bathroom/wetroom project. Floor is screeded ready for tiling, wall is stripped also ready for tiling. Next I need to build a bespoke vanity unit to take the sink.

The wall tiling is definitely going to be done after the vanity unit is built in.

But, what about the floor tiling? Should I build in the vanity unit then tile up to the kickboard? Or, should I tile the floor up to the walls then build the unit on top? Or, maybe even half and half, build the unit then tile with a complete tile under the unit and cut the kickboard to suit?

All suggestions gratefully received...

Nigel

Sponsored Links
Why does the vanity need to be fitted prior to wall tiling?
If it has to, then tile and grout the whole floor, install vanity then sheet/cover new floor prior to doing wall.

Hi PB,

My thoughts on fitting the vanity before the wall tiles was to be able to get a really good seal around the top of the unit. Tile down to the worktop, good grout job, bead of silicon, job done? I want the vanity to look built in rather than freestanding, plus it is a bit of a tight space so I need to use all of it.

Is there a problem with this?

(Also, tiling after allows me to be a little less precise with my joinery skills)

Thanks,

Nigel

No, should be no problems, I generally tile wall first before vanity and basin go in. Good sealant between top/basin and tile, then the addition of a bead at the top, will normally deal with any water issues.
Catch 22 tiles or joinery accuracy.

Sponsored Links
Good point.

I think I would rather fiddle in some tiles than try and get an awkwardly shaped vanity unit to look perfect.

Floor tiles first it is then, all the way to the walls then get the router and biscuit jointer out.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Be best to tile whole room first before fitting any units or pottery as if changed later on down the line means having to re tile room not just changing of any units or pottery plus makes it lot easier than having to cut around when tiling
We do this at the shop means we can change displays without having to re tile all the time ,lot easier to just change the displays without having to change tiles eg lift one sink,bath,loo out replace with another, no re tiling

Hello,
I would personally suggest completing your floor prior to any further work being carried out. If in the future you decide to change the toilet or vanity then you can simply remove these and replace without any flooring concerns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back