Which flooring material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to insulate my garage floor, the walls are already studded with 50mm Jablite and plasterboard.

The current concrete floor is sound and flat, so I'm intending to put down a water barrier plastic sheet which will be lapped up the walls. Then I will lay 3 x 2 treated floor joists on 400mm centres with a suitable insulation between.

Then I need to add a flooring over.

Not sure whether 22mm P5 T&G chip is strong enough or should I use 25mm WBP. The chip has the advantage of the T&G so will be easier to lay and stronger joints.

Final finish will be a hard vinyl covering.

The garage will be used for cars as well as a general workshop

Richard

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to work on cars in there? Just wondering as I would have thought the point loading on a chipboard floor (when jacking for example) would be marginal at best. Over time I can't see it lasting long and I certainly wouldn't be confident about working under any car supported on that surface.

Maybe it's just me but I'd stick with the concrete surface and wear thicker soled shoes!

Had thought about this and was intending to use spreader plates if I needed to jack up the car, but have not had a problem over the years.

Originally the floor was just chipboard floated over 50mm jabilite, no joists under or a DPM. It eventually failed in places after about 15 years and this was due to water ingress.

That problem will be cured with the new floor through the use of tanking slurry and a plastic membrane.

Richard

I would not use chipboard under a car, rad leak and will turn to mush, go with ply.
Would not trust a jack on it either, seen bed legs and furniture legs shoot thru chipboard floors.

Sponsored Links
Planing on topping the floor with a oil/chemical resistant vinyl sheet or tiles.

So ply is the recommendation?

Can you get it T&G'd

Richard

So ply is the recommendation?

Can you get it T&G'd
I believe Aron specified just that.

Thanks Guys for the input. I'll get a quote from my local merchant tomorrow.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back