which is the best white gloss that doesn't go yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the trade use a particular paint which gives such a lovely finish, I realise of course that a tradesman has trained hard to achieve good results and I don't expect to achieve the same results.

I prepare the best I can and I don't use cheap paint but whatever I use it always looks as if it needs doing again after a short while.

I have been advised that a water based gloss would be best but needs lots of natural light, I need white gloss for the bathroom which only has a small window so not fantstic for light. Any advise would be grateful received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I personally would use Dulux Trade white gloss. Its a lovely brill white nad will last in a bathroom atmosphere. I personally dont like water based glosses. They dont seem to have as good a shine as oil based gloss. If the woo is going to expand and contract water based paints are quite brittle and dont move as much, hence they could come off.

Dulux and Johnstone water based glosses have the best sheen level ive seen...almost as much as the tradtiional stuff.

Its all about sacrifices really..water based doesnt have the deep glossy sheen but it dries quick, doesnt yellow, very low odour, and flexible on wood..(or 'woo' as robbie calls it) ;)

Down side being the sheen level...allthough the sheen level it does have stays longer than oil based.

Oil based gloss has a high sheen level, hard wearing...but has a strong smell and yellows...especially in warm dark places.

Well, gents thank you for the replies,, I have decided to go for the Dulux Trade Gloss and the same in undercoat. I have given the existing a rub over with wet & dry, one undercoat and one top coat to follow, lets hope it does the trick. I wasn't clear if it was oil, water, or acrylic based but I shall have to wait and see.

Sponsored Links
I think you may have muddled up your glosses..either that or the person telling you is wrong..its OIL based gloss that needs loads of natural light, not water based...

A warm dark room is the ideal conditions for oil based gloss to go yellow.

Now gents I must be getting a little senile in my old age (64) but now I am confused, I have only opened the undercoat so I can still take the Dulux Trade back to B&Q if I need to.

Is the Trade Gloss an oil based or water based glosss. I have read the label there is no direct reference to oil although there are lots of ingrediants.

Can I ask you to clarify for me please before I open the tin.
Thanks. Reading your comments I should be going for water based which I understand will not yellow.

The Trade gloss you have, is oil based.
As a rule, a good way to check is, if it tells you on the tin to wash your brushes out in water, then it's water based.

Also... if it says "quick drying" that's water based.

Well what can I say,, I swapped the oil based for water based but although it feels quite nice to use I am really disappointed at the finish with regards to brush strokes. In all my 64 years I have never had difficulty in brushing out brush marks. I have always used the same type of brushes but I cant seem to be able to get rid of the brush marks.

I am going to leave it until tomorrow and the give it a light sanding with 200 grade and then think about trying a roller.. Can you help me out here gents on what might be going wrong or if you can suggest I do something different..
thanks

wellcome to our world and our ongoing fight with water based glosses :evil: Your doing nothing wrong its just a pig to apply and IMO not as good as the oil based. They aint cracked it yet. :rolleyes: Try adding flowetrol to it that works and try not to overbrush. good luck ;)

Dont over brush t monty..put it on..lay it off once and leave it..brush one section at a time so the edge dont go dry on you.

Thanks again chaps,,, I think the over brushing sounds right,, where do I get flowetrol, does it come in small amounts.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back