Which material and joints for shelving? (2)

Sponsored Links
Something like this, on a (much) wider scale?

18mm MDF with glued dowels. Used a Wolfcraft dowel jig and cut everything myself using a home-made circ. saw jig. Cheap circ. saw with decent 60t Bosch blade.

I used the full sized MDF sheets - I say I cut everything myself, but I got it cut to rough size on the wall saw at the shop so I could get it in my car.

If this is your first woodwork project, MDF is great because it's cheap. If mine lasts me a few years I'd be happy, but when I come to replace it i'll use proper wood - I can use the exact dimensions as I know it fits, so no errors on expensive materials.

Sponsored Links
Update .... I am still cogitating on this project.

(Unfortunately, when as part of the planning I moved some videos on a shelf in the room and discovered a large extent of mould spores, so my attention has been diverted to ripping out bits of the existing fittings to investigate THAT problem!)

Thanks for the photo idoodle, yes, that would be the sort of thing. I thought I'd make two of them, very similar, purpose-built to fit my Youview, Sky, video/DVD and storage boxes, the other to sit alongside it as an ad-hoc coffee table. Everything will be on casters, of course.

I'm definitely going to use plywood. I don't like MDF at all and as I have some severe allergies to dust I have to be extremely careful about what I use. I had to drill twenty 1/2" holes into a piece of pine yesterday and that didn't affect me at all, but MDF dust .... hmmm.. Also, as a lady I am not as strong as most of you muscle-men on here, and once I started to join two or three bits of MDF together I fear it will quickly become too heavy for me to lift or manipulate.

A friend has offered to lend me a biscuit jointer. I have no idea if that is appropriate for plywood. Is it? If so, are biscuits better than dowels?

Also, I have to fit out two alcoves with hand-made shelving, and I think it would be better for me to do this first, as a sort of "training" run, because if anything goes wrong, it won't be seen; whereas if I mess up anything that's on the wall or floor, it's going to be very very in your face.

Lastly, a (different) friend wants to come and stay for 10 days over Xmas, and enjoys doing a bit of DIY. So I might prepare this project to be done at that time, that way I will have some help.

LHL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back