Which oil to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Renault Clio MK2 2002 1390cc 16V automatic.

The engine oil in my car is close to the minimum mark so I need to top up, however I am not sure what is currently in there.

I used Halfords registration checker a couple of months back and purchased 1L of Castrol magnatec 10w40 part synthetic oil.

The vehicle handbook show recommendations and 10w40 is one of them. However, it doesn't say anywhere that I can see whether to use fully synthetic or part synthetic and I'm not sure what is currently in the engine.

Will I be ok to use the oil that I have purchased even if the oil that is currently in engine may be different?

Thank you :D

Sponsored Links
The car was built in 2002, and the engine designed some time before that, so it was not intended to use synthetic.

Magnatec will be fine

Personally, with an older car, I would probably use an own-brand 10W40 from a reputable chain. IIRC Halfords and Wilko are made by Comma, and are likely to be at least as good as the engine was designed for, so will Tesco own-brand.

The more important thing is to keep up the oil and filter changes, not to have filthy old oil in the engine. If you don't want to change it yourself, places like National Tyres do a change at such a good price it is hardly worth getting your hands dirty.

If you don't know when it was last changed, it is probably due. Unless the oil on the stick is clear and golden.

Last edited:
The car was built in 2002, and the engine designed some time before that, so it was not intended to use synthetic.

Magnatec will be fine

Personally, with an older car, I would probably use an own-brand 10W40 from a reputable chain. IIRC Halfords and Wilko are made by Comma, and are likely to be at least as good as the engine was designed for, so will Tesco own-brand.

The more important thing is to keep up the oil and filter changes, not to have filthy old oil in the engine. If you don't want to change it yourself, places like National Tyres do a change at such a good price it is hardly worth getting your hands dirty.

If you don't know when it was last changed, it is probably due. Unless the oil on the stick is clear and golden.

Thank you for the reply. It had a service at Halford Autocentres 14 months ago and according to the website all of their services include replacement oil filter and oil drain and refill. So not too long ago.

I'll top up the oil in the morning. Will be booking it in for another service in the next few months.

you'd have to check the handbook, but some cars of that age are on 24-month service schedule, depending on mileage. Others may be 12-month

It probably has a Service Reminder indicator on the dashboard, possibly a "number of miles to go until due" when you start the engine, otherwise just a "Service" warning light.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Attachments

• IMG_4169.JPG
    IMG_4169.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 100
use up the 10W40 first.

5W30 is likely to be more expensive. It is thinner, which is an advantage in very cold conditions, but it may get used up faster. I doubt it will matter.

I just looked up the 5W30 recommended for Peugeot/Renault at Halfords, it is a synthetic and twice the price of their 10W40.

IMO you will not see any advantage to compensate for the price.

I can't think of a reason why an oil company would encourage you to pay double the price for the oil you buy, can you?

Back