Which petrol lawnmower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone make a recommendation for a petrol lawnmower please?

I currently have an electric mower that's on it's last legs. I have a front and back lawn that are a pain with an electric mower as I'm always having to move the cord out of the way. My neighbours have electric ones and their lawns always look great.

Features I'd like are a low cutting height, a large grassbag collection size and within a budget of £200 if possible.

All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Sponsored Links
For that sort of budget, the likes of Honda are ruled out......therefore I'd have a look at what the likes of B&Q have to offer, preferably with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
Naturally enough, expect it to have oriental origins! Plastic or alloy cutter decks will last much longer than steel ones, but its usually the rear drive axle that calls a halt if you want a self propelled machine.
John :)

For that sort of budget, the likes of Honda are ruled out......therefore I'd have a look at what the likes of B&Q have to offer, preferably with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
Naturally enough, expect it to have oriental origins! Plastic or alloy cutter decks will last much longer than steel ones, but its usually the rear drive axle that calls a halt if you want a self propelled machine.

Thanks Burnerman. Let's ignore the budget, what would you recommend then?

My choice, as ever, is the Honda Izy.......almost starts itself, completely reliable and easy to use.
But.....the cutting deck is steel, and it will rust quite readily and will be in pieces in maybe 8 years. So, when I get one I drain off the oil and fuel, tip the thing over and paint the cutter deck underside - and its protected for life. The engines always outlast the decks on these and with an oil change every year just keep on going. Fuel filtering is excellent, the rear axle is long lasting and blades are readily available for around the £20 mark should you need one.

Sponsored Links
My choice, as ever, is the Honda Izy.......almost starts itself, completely reliable and easy to use.
But.....the cutting deck is steel, and it will rust quite readily and will be in pieces in maybe 8 years. So, when I get one I drain off the oil and fuel, tip the thing over and paint the cutter deck underside - and its protected for life. The engines always outlast the decks on these and with an oil change every year just keep on going. Fuel filtering is excellent, the rear axle is long lasting and blades are readily available for around the £20 mark should you need one.

Thanks John. I'll have a look into the Honda.

Just had a quick look on B&Q at ones with Briggs & Stratton engines, do you know much about the Webb mowers? There don't appear to be any reviews for them (is that a sign I wonder?). They appear to tick my boxes.

Webb used to be a 'professional' machine, the type found on bowling greens and so on - they were always a cut above the other British stuff, Atco and Hayter being another (might have been American, that one.)
These days I'm afraid you can't really trust the name - even JCB allow their name and colours to be used but I do prefer a Briggs engine to an unbranded Chinese one ......at least you can get spares!

Honda Izy every time, albeit pushing the OP's budget a bit. Self-propelled obviously, and get the mulching one because it saves disposing of the clippings. As to the deck, I always clean under mine after I've finished using it. it's putting them away with wet stuff caked underneath that rots them out.

Cheers
Richard

Honda Izy every time, albeit pushing the OP's budget a bit. Self-propelled obviously, and get the mulching one because it saves disposing of the clippings. As to the deck, I always clean under mine after I've finished using it. it's putting them away with wet stuff caked underneath that rots them out.

Cheers
Richard

Hi, you've said self-propelled obviously, is that a big thing? Presumably it means once it's started it takes off in a cartoon stylie? Is it really necessary for smaller gardens?

To get them to move, you squeeze a lever up to the handlebar and off you go......whether you need that or not depends on the size of your lawn!
The latest Izys have a plasticised paint on the deck underside, which unfortunately isn't really any better than ordinary paint.
I redecked my Izy 18" last year - decks cost around £100 and I can swap all the bits over in just over an hour.....probably worth it, so long as the rest stands up to it!
I've also a clip idea that keeps the engine run lever held up.....I can't be doing with all of this restarting just because I'm emptying the grass bag.

I redecked my Izy 18" last year - decks cost around £100 and I can swap all the bits over in just over an hour.....probably worth it, so long as the rest stands up to it!

I've a second 21" Izy in teh garage, with a knackered deck. I bought it used and didn't clean it. How complicated is it to fit a new deck? I don't need two mowers but the neighbour's is always breaking down.

Cheers
Richatrd

Hi, you've said self-propelled obviously, is that a big thing? Presumably it means once it's started it takes off in a cartoon stylie?
Exactly like that, yes ;) Picture yourself flying behind it horizontally.

More of a slow walking pace.

Is it really necessary for smaller gardens?

Define "small". If you have to go any sort of distance in a straight line it's probably worth it. It's the difference between pushing the mower and walking behind it.

Cheers
Richard

Hi, you've said self-propelled obviously, is that a big thing? Presumably it means once it's started it takes off in a cartoon stylie?
Exactly like that, yes ;) Picture yourself flying behind it horizontally.

More of a slow walking pace.

Is it really necessary for smaller gardens?

Define "small". If you have to go any sort of distance in a straight line it's probably worth it. It's the difference between pushing the mower and walking behind it.

Cheers
Richard

The rear lawn is about 15m x 10m and the front is an odd shape but has a fairly steep gradient. Is it worth the extra £40 on the 2 models I'm looking at?

The rear lawn is about 15m x 10m and the front is an odd shape but has a fairly steep gradient. Is it worth the extra £40 on the 2 models I'm looking at?

For the sake of 40 quid I'd say yes. The key thing here being the word "gradient" ;)

Cheers
Richard

I've a second 21" Izy in teh garage, with a knackered deck. I bought it used and didn't clean it. How complicated is it to fit a new deck? I don't need two mowers but the neighbour's is always breaking down.

Cheers
Richatrd
No problem renewing the deck at all.....but on some of the bigger machines there are grass deflectors bolted onto the deck underside too. They will be knackered as well which all adds to the expense.
Shift the wheels and axle first, so at least the thing can roll......and keep the model number / serial number sticker and glue it back on the new deck so you can order any other parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back