Which pipe to drain system from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

In preparation for replacing a number of rads and bits of pipe this summer I went on the hunt for the drain point on the system.

Three 15mm pipes sticking out of house outside which I followed by pulling up floorboards to the left of the Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler. I found two taps, one on the flow and one on the return which feed two of these pipes outside. The third appears to come from the hot tank and cold water storage combined so should be no need to touch that one I expect.

Should I simply attach a hose to both of these pipes and open both taps at the same time? They are over 40 years old and surprisingly they're not stuck as I opened them a tiny touch and heard the trickle of black water coming out of each.

Also noticed I have what looks like an ancient Myson pump. Perhaps the original making it over 40 years old! Pump is on the return - noticed people saying this should not be the case. Has worked fine all this time so no need to move it I assume?

Here's some pics to aid my explanation

Regards

Steven

Sponsored Links
yeah, just open both and the system should drain.
pump on the return is no biggie either, you've probably got gravity fed hot water judging by the position of the pump, it's a very inefficient system that you have and you should maybe think about getting a new boiler and dragging your system into the 21st century.

but saying that if it works, you're happy with it, and you have it serviced regular it's fine :)

Whilst you're at it, replace the grey twin and earth cable with the correct heat resistant cable. Eventually the insulation will deteriorate to the point of it becoming brittle and failing. It's not designed to be used in such hot locations. Probably it has only lasted this long because it's on the return which will be a tad cooler.

The pump on the return is 'old school' and was fine in its day, so long as the pipe system it was connected to was designed properly with that in mind.

yeah, just open both and the system should drain.
pump on the return is no biggie either, you've probably got gravity fed hot water judging by the position of the pump, it's a very inefficient system that you have and you should maybe think about getting a new boiler and dragging your system into the 21st century.

but saying that if it works, you're happy with it, and you have it serviced regular it's fine :)

Correct - GHW

I understand system should be modernised. We as a family are constantly reminded just how rubbish (matter of opinion I guess) the system is every time BG come to service it. Pipework and rads are 40+ years old and boiler is touching 20 years (was a similar baxi before) Trouble is, besides some kettling which I've put a plaster over by retrofitting a simple pump over run circuit the system runs great. I don't intend modernising other than flushing and fitting new rads until the boiler eventually dies which probably wont be for many many years.

A point re the servicing. BG came out other week and the yearly service consisted of nothing more than a smoke test, FGA, gas pressure test and away he went. He didn't vac out anything or even remove the front off the boiler. Only removed the firefront for approx. 5-10 minutes then reassembled. Is that all that's needed? Last year a different BG guy had the thing in pieces, burner out and everything. Is it a bit like cars ie major and minor service?

PS my late granddaddy fitted this system in the 70s so in my opinion it's the bestest system in the world... lol

Sponsored Links
Whilst you're at it, replace the grey twin and earth cable with the correct heat resistant cable. Eventually the insulation will deteriorate to the point of it becoming brittle and failing. It's not designed to be used in such hot locations. Probably it has only lasted this long because it's on the return which will be a tad cooler.

The pump on the return is 'old school' and was fine in its day, so long as the pipe system it was connected to was designed properly with that in mind.

I hear you

Would it be acceptable to replace a short section of it using a chock block and suitable enclosure? Reason being the wiring terminates at opposite end of house and may result in a ball ache should the new wire snag. Is there any point replacing the pump all together? I mean the old one is quiet enough and would appear to pump adequately (all rads burning hot etc)

TBH I was expecting to find a manifold under there but all I see is two long runs of I assume 22mm? (all rads are fed by 10mm) Unless there's one under the floor in the hall where those pipes seem to lead to. Upstairs is fed by 1 15mm feed and 1 15mm return which runs up side of chimney and under upstairs bedroom floor.

A point re the servicing. BG came out other week and the yearly service consisted of nothing more than a smoke test, FGA, gas pressure test and away he went. He didn't vac out anything or even remove the front off the boiler. Only removed the firefront for approx. 5-10 minutes then reassembled. Is that all that's needed? Last year a different BG guy had the thing in pieces, burner out and everything. Is it a bit like cars ie major and minor service?

PS my late granddaddy fitted this system in the 70s so in my opinion it's the bestest system in the world... lol

FWIW - I have the same back boiler.

My local man does the full monty when he does a yearly service and not the (p&&s poor) amount your first BG man did.

I sometimes wonder with some BG operatives................ ;)

Would it be acceptable to replace a short section of it using a chock block and suitable enclosure?
Yes, that would be OK. It's where the cable terminates inside the pump terminal box that the damage occurs. Circular flex with an insulated earth conductor will terminate better than T&E too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back