Which primer for painting kitchen doors/cornices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at a primer for kitchen doors/cornices/kickboards.

Two seem to pop up prominently online.
Oswatrol E.S.P and Zinsser BIN.

Overpaint will be an eggshell.

Which of these would do the job best, or are there any other better ones out there?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Both are great but B-I-N can be a pain in the 'arris on larger areas. What type of cabinets do you have, wood, laminate, melamine, vinyl wrap?
I ask because if you have a wooden kitchen, you may need a stain blocking primer like BIN, otherwise, I'd personally go for ESP.

Just remember, it's essential to ensure all surfaces are clean and grease free before painting kitchen units.

Thanks for the reply.

No wood surfaces and some large areas such as end panels.
So ESP seems the way to go.

After application, is it best to go straight to the finish coat or use an undercoat?

Depending on original colour, you may need an undercoat to hide darker shades, even though (oil) eggshell is self-undercoating.
You may actually find that Zinsser Coverstain or Bullseye 1-2-3 may be a better option, now that I think of it. They will give you a nice, even, white base coat to work with, and then no undercoat would be necessary.
Also, be warned that, although hard-wearing, eggshell is not easy to keep clean as satinwood (also self-undercoating) would be. Any kitchen cabinets I painted, I used 1-2-3 and satinwood (Crown Solo), but that was back in the day when oil based paints were more reliable than they are now!

Sponsored Links
Depending on original colour, you may need an undercoat to hide darker shades, even though (oil) eggshell is self-undercoating.
You may actually find that Zinsser Coverstain or Bullseye 1-2-3 may be a better option, now that I think of it. They will give you a nice, even, white base coat to work with, and then no undercoat would be necessary.
Also, be warned that, although hard-wearing, eggshell is not easy to keep clean as satinwood (also self-undercoating) would be. Any kitchen cabinets I painted, I used 1-2-3 and satinwood (Crown Solo), but that was back in the day when oil based paints were more reliable than they are now!
Ordered the ESP before this post, so will have to go with that.

That's fine...ESP does a great job, but you may need an undercoat over a darker colour.

I'm trying to match up the cornice/end panel with the existing doors and paint some others also.
What make of undercoat/top coat do you recommend after ESP?

Attachments

• unit.jpg
    unit.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 154

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back