Which SDS for general DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 1930's semi, which needs complete renovation.
Looking to get an SDS drill, for general work (whatever that may be), taking off plaster, drilling etc.

What do you think of the
MAKITA HR2470 240V 3-Function SDS rotary hammer
£99.60 delivered ?

http://www.mtspowertools.co.uk/product.php/site/froogle/sn/MAKHR2470/2

Features-
3-Function SDS drill (Rotary only, hammer only, hammer and rotary)
Light weight powerfull fixing drill
Forward and reverse
Variable speed

Specifications-
No load speed 0 - 1100 rpm
Net Weight 2.6 kg
Input wattage 780 wattage
Blows per minute 0-4500 bpm
Joules 2.7 Js
Max in Concrete 24 mm
Max in steel 13 mm
Max in Wood 32 mm

Also what drill bits and chisel bits should I get, want to get good ones that will last.

Sponsored Links
If you can get a decent second hand Hilti TE6 or 7 110v it would be well worth it.

I have a TE6a and 7a (36v battery), and I think they are some of the best available, although pricey, but its hilti at the end of the day. Always had a good rating.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch a secondhand SDS drill, Hilti or no. It's one of those tools which is consistently hammered by everyone. I've had 20+ years of success (i.e. good performance, only one breakdown, a capacitor) with Bosch blue SDS drills. I've also been impressed with Maklta SDS+ drills when I've used hire kit. Another good SDS+ has to be the Metabo - mine was brilliant while it lasted (nicked!).

I've still got a second hand Bosch blue. I've had it 18 years. God knows how old it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back