Which side of washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found that water is leaking from the kitchen sink into the cupboard below. It's leaking from where the hot tap is, so I've taken it off and am just replacing it with a new washer. The washer is smooth on one side and has little raised lugs on the other. Could someone advise please on which side of the washer should touch the bottom of the tap and which one the top of the sink. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I always put the ribs to the sink side, would it make much difference, wouldn't think so. Don't overtighten, just get it tight enough to stop the tap moving

Sponsored Links
I always put the ribs to the sink side, would it make much difference, wouldn't think so. Don't overtighten, just get it tight enough to stop the tap moving
I think you gave me a good tip there Madrab when you said don't overtighten. I think that might have been the problem from when I originally fitted the tap. This time I just tightened until the the tap wouldn't move and then gave the backnut an extra 1/4 turn. Then threw water over the tap but it stayed dry as a bone underneath. Brilliant! Thanks again.

It's a common DIY faux pas, racking it right up and the washer gets squeezed too much and sometimes creates a gap.

It's a common DIY faux pas, racking it right up and the washer gets squeezed too much and sometimes creates a gap.
Hello mate, I spoke too soon! When I checked again there was a very slight leak still. So I've tightened it more and checked again, still slight leak, tightened a bit more, still a bead of water, tightened a bit more, still the same. So now I've got it as tight as I can get it and still there's tiny bead of water coming through. All I can think to do now is to put some silicon round the centralizing washer and the backnut underneath the sink. Cheers anyway.

If the washer was larger than the hole on the basin and the tap hole is recessed then it's easy for it not centre it correctly, as you tighten the acknut the tap can settle off centre. That being said a little spot of silicone, if needed, is not the end of the world.

Plus most washers suppliedby the manufacturers are crap, ditch it and use silicone anyway.

If the washer was larger than the hole on the basin and the tap hole is recessed then it's easy for it not centre it correctly, as you tighten the acknut the tap can settle off centre. That being said a little spot of silicone, if needed, is not the end of the world.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I used a split klick washer to centralize the tap. Anyway, as you say, using some silicone won't harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back