Which Skin to fit door to?

C

cb9002

Hi

I live in a 50's terrace and am considering replacing a rotting rebated wooden external back door and frame with PVC (possibly a low-threshold version). At the moment, the existing frame is fitted in the cavity between the two (brick) skins, but most PVC doors I've seen are fitted to the external skin.

Please could you suggest what will probably be closing the cavity (if anything) and whether it will be suitable for fixing the new PVC frame to? If not, what are the best ways of fixing and closing the cavity?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The door should be fitted to the outer skin.
Then you can either make good inside by using pvc trims or plasterboard and skim.
In my opinion a plaster finish is much better looking.
You might want to squirt some expanding foam in the cavity first though to stop any draughts.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, if (as I think you imply) the cavity isn't otherwise closed, how's the current frame fitted to it?

Sponsored Links
You will need a cavity closers.

Should've been put in when built unless they didn't do it in the 50's or it maybe an extra door put in(?)

Another method is a dpc behind the outer skin with a return brickwork

An example, many difference type out there,

images

7_cavity_closer.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back