Which Texecom Communicator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I think i've settled on getting a Texecom Premier 48 w but i'm confused on the communicators options, Well how they work really.

Am after ability to use their app and get simple notification if alarm triggers.

Com2400

The cheapest option seems to be the COM2400 and it says ability to send SMS.

How does this do this does it dial a number and then send text as it does not seem to need a sim

Speech & Text Dialler

Which looks like a Keypad on this one i'm confused as to if this is replacement also again is this calling some service centre to send text

http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/communicators/alternative-products/

Premier Elite ComGSM

Which seems like it can be set as ipcom or GSM but this does take a sim i think

Any help be much Appreciated as i need to know will i need to run telephone cable etc or not

Sponsored Links
com 2400 cant do app
speech dialler can not do app

GSM com can do app when used in com-ip mode but its not the easiest way to get the app and won't do the app and text messaging. Needs data enabled sim card and need to set it upto use the ip address can be done but probably best avoided for the app if you can.

Simplest is the com ip module, this will also work out cheaper to run than the gsm module as you dont need a sim card.

Hi deemo

It really depends also not just on the initial costs and set up times, but also the ongoing costs associated also.

The Com 2400 is an internal module (fitted inside the control panel), so installation is a bit easier but the cost of having any SMS sent out can be expensive depending on the TAP provider used. I think it's generally about 50p per message, as it has to dial out a number to the third party provider and provide them with the info to send the SMS.
There have also been cases of delays with the messages being sent at busy times, which would mean not receiving the message in an alarm condition for quite a while.

I have the COM GSM, and while I don't use it with any mobile app it still provides enough functionality. I can send a text to the COM GSM to tell me the current status of the alarm (it checks areas armed, any alarm conditions, and also tells the status of mains, battery and phone line connections - phone line connection is a weird one in this case, as I should only receive the response as long as it is ok!)
I can also remotely arm and disarm the system, both full arm and part arm.

I haven't used com-ip myself but I know someone who has, and they said they preferred it. I'm not entirely sure how they used it to send out alarm conditions though, someone else would have to provide advice on that.

I would say its a decision between the com-ip and the com-gsm, with the preference depending on you and your budget - the COM-GSM is considerably more expensive, and you need to decide on the SIM card too. Make sure its a network operator who has good signal strength in your home, and one where the cost is not too expensive to send SMS.
You'll also need to factor in the ability to check the balance of the SIM (if prepaid), ie can you register it to check online?

So looks like the COMgsm is the best option as you can

a) Setup either way
b) Control costs better

You guys been very helpful

Sponsored Links
If you are thinking of using the COM GSM in the com-ip mode, best to research getting a compatible SIM card first. Not all SIM cards provide either static IP or data number mode.

Com GSM over com2400 and speech dialler yes every time.

com gsm vs ip com not so clear and if you want to setup the gsm to use the app I would advise against it.

1. expensive to run compared to ip module
2. difficult to set up in comparison to the ip module for use with the app.

For the App unless you don't have a router/ hub you can can connect I wouldn't use the GSM for the App. You must have an excellent signal at all times to use the GSM in IP mode, but to send texts out only needs to be borderline signal at best.

IF YOU WANT THE GSM FOR THE APP, PLEASE THINK TWICE ABOUT COM-IP INSTEAD.

I wont be offering any support for anyone using the app with the gsm module on here, thats for sure. I am sure some of the others might, if not you can use the Texecom forum for help with it.

Yes i'm doing research found some people do have issues

When set to ip module can you still get alerts or is that where you need to have a pc running in order to provide that

which sounds like choice between using ip module to use app or using GSM but only via text not App

As it stands the ip module can only give alerts via texbase/ montex which requires a pc on 24/7. Which sends an email.

It is possible to use the GSM in 1 of 2 modes:-

1. GSM
2. Com-ip

but you can not use it for both modes unfortunately.

Setting GSM module for COM-IP, requires excellent signal, programming with APN programming software (on request from Texecom I believe not on CD as standard), and a Static IP address for the sim card (can be expensive). It just creates a lot of messing around and unless you do it regular it is unlikely you would get it right straight away because of all the factors involved.

If anyone is interested in using the com-ip for email I may be able to set up a dedicated pc to handle this on a trial basis (trial for free for a few months), but at some point would have to make a small charge for setting it up similar I guess to the Self mon for the galaxy which is being offered, but it be email only for £1 to £2 a month £10 to £20 paid for the year in advance I would guess. This would be to send to 1 or upto 4 email addresses.

Need at least 10 people to even think about starting a trial. There is no guarantees with this just like the self monitoring package offered for the galaxy by others.

Just to give you another point of view.

I've replaced an old basic system with a Premier Elite 24 in my home after an attempted break in and wanted to be allerted if ASAP if the alarm sounds.

Yes I fancied all bells and whistles, iPhone APP, remote set and unset etc. but then I though why in a normal house situation would I need that? I'd be setting the alarm when I left and unsetting when I got home, at the end of the day I wanted what I felt to be the most reliable and practical method.

I use a 3rd part seperate GSM voice dialer unsing outputs from the panel. Reason is its very easy to miss an SMS or it to arrive late (especially near Christmas and New Year) My voice dialler ring's my mobile, if I dont answer it will ring the next number on the list untill it gets to the end and then start again. Yes I dont get the sort of information that the Texecom kit does but its not information I need untill I get home.

My land line is visable externally and can be cut or the internet can go down so the other options arent as reliable, yes there are GSM jammers but I'd say less likely to be targeted (although my GSM dialler does support 2 sims and anti jamming)

My only suggestion would be to have an alarm and a confirmed alarm output programmed so at least you get a notifcation of an alarm, the second notification means theres a good chance you are being burgled rather than the cat climbing the curtains, with a third party gsm.

The gsm module can have text commands sent to it to fire outputs, arm and disarm the arm and to check the status. For those that panic not knowing if they set the alarm both the gsm module and the app will allow them to check for peace of mind.

You can go into it very deeply about pros and cons of control/ notification.

I would say the priority is to be notified of an alarm rather than to control it whilst on the loo at some exotic hotel.

Interesting I am aware of GSM towers to go down more than landlines or internet connections have done locally.

That's why its better to have two sets of coms that are different, as one goes down the other is signalling out.

Interesting I am aware of GSM towers to go down more than landlines or internet connections have done locally.

That's why its better to have two sets of coms that are different, as one goes down the other is signalling out.

Can the COM2400 via a land line do voice calling or text only?

if using com-ip and the app, i'm assuming the alarm status would be visible or flagged as notification if it went off ?

It's only if you have com-ip and no app you'd need to work about getting email ?

actually the app doesnt't currently support notifications at all.

Rumours are that they are working on something but the last I heared it will still require Texebase/Montex to send the notifcations through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back