which type of Toolstation screw to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I normally use Toolstation and need to get some GP screws for wood but there are some choices ie single thread, twin thread, Reisser screws, & Passlode screws. I don't know what is the difference is. Maybe I should just go for one of the boxed sets of 3400 with a range of sizes for £39.99? They are Goldstar but I'm not sure what that means either, although they look like the Silverline set re badged and a lot cheaper.
Mind you it's quite nice to have a stack of boxes on a shelf where you can see the size on the end at a glance.
Has anyone got any tips?

Sponsored Links
all depends on the normal use !!!

if its basicly for general around the house hanging shelves screwing the odd bit off wood then silver twins are great
if you want a small selection i would suggest
4x 1/2"
6x1/2" 6x3/4 6x1"
7x1 1/4"
8x1 1/4" 8x1 1/2 8x 1 3/4"
10x2" 10x2 1/2"

or 3x12mm
3.5 x 12mm/16mm/20mm/25mm
4x30mm
4.5x30mm/35mm/40mm/45mm
5x50mm/60mm/

i have over 100 boxes in my shed made up from s/fix twins 30 odd sizes gold 20 odd sizes turbo gold 25 ish sizes brass 30 sizes about 20 other [japblack mirror screws ect] and some reiser

this company do cheap boxes and reasonable priced screws serch 165001
http://www.tools4trade.net/

although most off my screws are from toolstation and screwfix

thanks, it's useful to see the imperial/metric equivalents as I didn't know that.
Sounds like the boxed set is the one to go for. AJ

Sponsored Links
Boxsets can work out cheaper, but they are crafty and stock low of the ones that are more common. I just end up picking a selection that way I know I wont have a thousand 1/2" screws I'll rarely use!

Turbo Gold and Ressier screws are a joy to work with, I treat myself to a box or two now and again. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back