Which underlay for a felt back carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking to fit a felt back carpet (Ideal Masterback), for bedroom/landing/stairs but I am not sure what sort of underlay I should be using.

Years ago it used to be "waffle", last carpets fitted by united carpets used a "cheap" sheet of black foam (like thick laminate underlay).

This time I am buying my own underlay (tradepriced.co.uk seam the cheapest), they do a own label 8mm PU underlay, that they claim is similar to Cloud 9 Cirrus. Is this sufficient? or should I be looking a a 10 or even 12mm underlay?

Sponsored Links
Feltback carpets are not designed to be stretch fitted on gripper and underlay although it can be done but especially on a HSL the results are likely to be hit and miss/dangerous.

Much better to source a secondary backed carpet designed for stretch fit/underlay.

puFoam or Rubber waffle undelay will vary in quality and price dependent on depth and density, Rubber Crumb is very tough and great for heavy wear but firm underfoot, the best underlays are felt or combo felt but they will be better quality than the carpet you are putting on them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back