Which Underlay for felt shingles? Modern Membrane or Felt?..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been getting quotes for materials for me to cover my 50m sq shed roof. Some offer old style underlay felt, some offering cromar vent 3 breathable membrane or equivalents.
eg.
http://www.sandpipersupplies.co.uk/...eathable_Membrane_122gsm_50m_x_1-dot-5m_Roll/

The membranes are attractive since they are cheaper, quicker, easier to fit (ie. staple gun, scissors!) and I am being told will allow breathability (under shingles? thought they are supposed to seal the roof?)

Is this seriously an option or am I being misinformed?

Deck is 18mm OSB 3.

Xenon very helpfully said no to membranes but two suppliers say its OK? Now I'm confused....

Sponsored Links
I would listen to Xenon then as I have never seen shingles laid with a breathable underlay, why would you as you will put a thousand holes in it.

I actually said use a felt underlay, sand faced. Nail/staple this on. You will see a bitumen strip on the back of the shingle, once you have nailed the head, lift the shingle and wave a small blowlamp over this strip then press down onto the head of the previous shingle, this will make sure they hold properly and stop the wind lifting them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Xenon. Will use felt.

Blowlamp rather than a dab of mastic?

Cheers

Moppit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back