Which wood should I choose for a wall unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, only my second post so please be gentle...

i'm looking at trying to make a wall unit very similar to this:
http://www.next.co.uk/x52932s3#778469x52

This is made of solid pine, which is what I had intended to use, however I can't source any pine boards that are big enough to do the back part in one piece (approx 880mm x 520mm). I've seen sheets of laminated MDF which has a choice of oak, pine veneer, but not sure if this material is suitable. I know you can get iron on strips for the cut edges, but how good is this?

Is solid 18mm MDF suitable if I decide to not go for the natural wood look?

I wanted to do it in 18mm thickness, should I screw or glue and use dowels?

Thanks in anticipation...

Sponsored Links
You could build that with veneered mdf and a face frame for the top.
The curve faced with matching veneer.

You would need a track saw ideally to make the nice chip free precision straight cuts.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for replying.
Could you let me know what you mean by a face frame? Do you mean build the carcass from MDF but use a solid piece of pine/oak for the top piece?

I don't have a track saw, only a jigsaw, can the veneer be sanded to a smooth finish?

Cheers

Face frame is the frame on the front-side of the Cabinet carcass, we can say its the fixing point for the hardware and door. I always use poplar for frames and Pine is also good option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back