Which would be quickest?

city and guilds being a pile of shyte?really thought that was N.V.Q.s
also lead to believe that C&G's are meant to be making a come back.
but i stand to be corrected.

I did a C&G award in bench joinery in 2006 at college, followed by an advanced ACA in bench joinery - you learn how to do basic, intermediate and advanced joints, projects range from something as simple as a small bathroom cabinet, to a full size door, mini-stair case with rounded step etc. On top of this are various tests, form filling, you get graded on each project at completion, etc. Really it's a waste of time because you can learn all of this in a fraction of the time in an actual job minus all the bureaucracy (paperwork), and time wasting.

You can even teach yourself, which is what I did, because I wasted so much time doing that C&G, when I took on my house (needed a total refurbishment) I was determined not to waste anymore time chasing bits of paper, and in two years working on the house I learned electrics, plumbing (minus gas), carpentry, together with thousands of hours of site experience. I have a bit of a foundation of joinery knowledge from doing the college course admittedly, which helped, but mostly my confidence came from working on site as a labrourer prior to taking on the house.

This is why I never suggest young people do a C&G course, because what you learn is of limited relevance and employers only want and care about experience, so the best thing is to get on site, even as a labourer, tough it out and consider your options. The college route is utterly worthless, especially if you don't already have a job when you enroll because you can't possibly know whether you are going to like what you are studying until you do it in real life, and it's unlikely if you are studying at the college as part of an apprenticeship that your employer will suddenly give you a pay rise for completeing the course, especially the econonmy being the way it is.

On the flip side the courses don't meet the needs of DIYers because of the long breaks in between terms, you'll have 4 weeks at college, 4 weeks off, they are designed for (mainly under 25s) who are working in the field the C&G is relevant to, and nothing else, which leaves an avid Diyer looking to improve his skill set at the mercy of private colleges. I've seen plastering courses range anywhere from £450 for 2 days to £3000 for two weeks. Best option is to follow a plasterer mate around, .... and we're in 2015.

Sponsored Links
Plastering is a funny trade, you can do all the courses you like but if you haven't got the abillity then you will be carp. The plasterer that I use learned from a short course and really does do a lovely job but If I did the same course then my work would look like a scale map of the alps. As for finding tradesmen in Bradistan, anyone who is any good and knows their worth doesn't work in Bradford, it is full of cheap chisellers, "My brother do it cheeper" and non payers... When I was loading my van with the Beloveds bathroom suite at a large discount bathroom store I was asked by six guys for my card, one even got aggressive when I told him that I didn't live in Yorkshire and thought that I was being racist for not wanting to work for him

With all this immigration and transfer of skilled workers from Poland etc you'd think there would be plenty of plasterers around - but no.

On the other hand, I rang one up - he was here on the date\time agreed to and started a couple of weeks later & did an excellent job all in the same day.
A keeper :)
I'm in Rossendale Lancs if anyone needs to know who he is.

I've heard a lot of trades complaining about Poles, saying they undercut them and don't know the regs. And you hear the middle classes saying how wonderful the Polish trades are (by which they mean cheaper I guess, not that they follow regs etc).

When I was looking for trades, I didn't some across any Poles. But then I ignore business cards in tile shops etc.

I found trades turned up when agreed. But down here prices are high. You could plaster all of Yorkshire for the price down here of plastering one wall. Maybe trades migrant where the money is?

Sponsored Links
Then again, we can be lucky.
My first wife noticed she had a puncture when she got the car out to go to work this morning. We initially looked online for mobile puncture repair companies and couldn't find any. Having changed the wheel for a tiny (Noddy car style) temporary wheel, we telephoned the garage we usually use for repairs and servicing which is about a mile away. They said they could repair it, so we took it straight in.
When we went back to collect it an hour later, the tyre was repaired and put back on the car, the temporary tyre back in the boot. How much?
"Oh, give us a tenner". o_O I was expecting at least twice as much! :D
But then, they are always very reasonably priced for all their work.

Back