Whirlpool Dishwasher - Error Light Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Our Whirlpool dishwasher ( ADP 4501/5) will start into a wash program but stops after a few minutes. The green light flashes eight times. Can anyone tell me what this might indicate and how I might possibly fix it?

Many thanks,
Michael.

Sponsored Links
Hello again, Folks
As my original post didn't elicit any replies, I've been casting about on the internet for an answer to why our dishwasher won't run through a cycle. According to a list of faults I found the 8 flash error means:

F8. 8 Flashes. Water level failure. Sieve strongly dirty or big amount of foam inside to less water.
On foot of this I took out the sieve ( I'm assuming this is the plastic mesh cylinder recessed into the floor of the interior,) gave it a good cleaning with hot water etc and replaced. Lo and behold the machine ran twice after that and worked fine, but again this morning it's back to blinking 8 times.

Can anyone offer any advice on what to try next?

By the way, I noticed the plastic bowl which the filter slots down into was full of water - as is the adjacent container in the bottom which takes the salt. Should this be the situation, or is the machine not draining as it should?

Sorry for long post and all the questions, but any help would be gratefully received,
Thanks,
Michael.

Take out the filters & bail out as much water as you can. Look in the right hand side of the sump for one of these http://www.espares.co.uk/part/dishw...278/0/0/662485/dishwasher-pressure-switc.html The grill often gets blocked by fat, garbage, & bits of sticky labels. If this is the case give it a good clean. You could also check if the pressure switch is actually switching by carefully poking a cable tie or similar through the grill (don't use anything sharp or you'll poke a hole in the diaphragm).

Zipper,

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I scooped out the sump and had a look at the pressure switch grill. It was pretty clean with nothing clogging it as far as I could see. I also used a plastic cable tie to press the pressure switch. Seems to click when pressed. Not sure if this is what you were suggesting in your reply - is there something else I can do to check if this is working?

Ran the machine after doing the above and it's currently going through a cycle ( thank God! ). Will report on progress later!

Thanks for your help, Zipper.
Michael.
PS Should the sump be empty of water when the machine finishes its cycle?

Sponsored Links
The device with the black grill is a pressure switch & if blocked (or not working properly) it can cause the symptoms you have been experiencing. More often than not blockages are the prime cause. However over time the diaphragm (which activates the micro switch behind it) gets deformed & doesn't function correctly. I suspect the latter in your case. If if malfunctions again change it out.
There is always water left in the sump after a cycle is finished, this is quite normal. The first thing thing a dishwasher does when you start a cycle is to pump out the sour water in the sump, so no need to worry there ;)

Zipper - just to report that the machine seems to be running fine since I followed your advice. Happiness has returned to the kitchen as once again handwashing is no longer a necessity!

Honestly - thanks for the very helpful advice. I just hope the machine continues to chug along happily for some time to come. If it plays up again, or seems like that pressure switch needs changing ( gulp..) I might come back for some more directions on this...

Meantime thank you again.. YOU DE MAN!
Michael.

Nae bother ;)
It isn't a big job to change if you need to do it later. Lie the machine on its back, remove the baseplate....& all is revealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back