White grass patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed I am getting patches of white grass but I am unsure why. I have had some weeds which I have pulled out and sprayed the roots with a lawn friendly weed killer. I have also noticed there is moss so I have applied some lawn sand yo kill the Moss and help with grass growth. This was done Friday so it's not had long to do what it needs to yet.

I am wondering if it's something I am doing or if it's a fungus or something. If anyone can shed any light on this and how to resolve it I would be appreciative as I can't fathom it out.

I have attached a picture so you can see what I am on about.

Thanks

James

Attachments

• WhiteGrass.JPG
    WhiteGrass.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have a dog? Bitches in particular can cause brown or bare patches in the lawn.

No, although cats do tend to come in the garden could it be them having a pee? if so how can I stop it?

I doubt it's cats they tend to do their business in soft soil around the flower beds.
Searching on line does suggest perhaps some sort of fungus. We had a new batch of turf laid that had a white deposit all over it, the gardener had no idea what it was, but that cleared up without any damage after a month or so.

Sponsored Links
Ah right so you think I should just leave it and see what happens? I am planning on over seeding it soon once the lawn sand has had chance to do its thing as hopefully the moss will have died off by then.

I did a google image search for "white patches of dead grass" seems very common on US sites but little here. No single cause jumps out, but insect infestation and mould due to watering / spring weather conditions seem the most common. Perhaps as you intend to reseed try cutting out a patch and transplant a healthy just bit to see if it gets reinfected.

I may give that a go. I did think it was due to the amount of moss in the garden currently so hopefully that should help as well if it goes away, since I thought that would have been taking the moisture away from the grass which is why its dying. It doesn't help hat I have clay about an inch or two down in my garden so that's just going to waterlog everything which is why I am planning on putting gypsum down to try and break some of it up and help with some form of drainage. I have also added some topsoil and sharp sand which has helped to a degree but I may add some as well as the gypsum when I over seed to help with soil composition and drainage.

I will give your idea a go first though but it could be the mould I have left the grass to dry since we have had a lot of wet weather recently so hopefully that will dry it out.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

James

I have top dressed my lawn and given it a good rake before hand and most of it came out so I have reseeded over it but also moved a small patch into the area to see what happens.

Thanks for your help I will let you know how I get on.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back