White paint turns yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We decorated a room about 5 months ago and have noticed that the white eggshell on the skirting boards etc has already started to yellow. I have seen it loads of times in the past with white gloss so hoped eggshell might be better. :cry:

It's not a cheap make and it was a brand new tin when we did it. Any ideas how we can make it stay whiter for longer or is there a particular make of white eggshell that is better than Dulux?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
All oil/solvent-based (white) paint will yellow after a while , even more so if theres no natural (sun)light in the room..
:rolleyes:

......i think the above was someone spamming the site.

How about this, hope this helps you.

Its tricky to say for sure without seeing the job but here are my two pennies worth...........

1. Did you thoroughly MIX the paint? before using it? I know sounds daft saying it, but sometimes people dont mix it, and therefore the resins in the gloss have appeared as they weren't amalgamated into the paint.

2. Is there a HEAT SOURCE (hot water or heating pipe, vent from flue or aircon unit, radiator etc) near the stained wood as heat can discolour paint.

3. Did you PREPARE the surface before painting, by sanding the old paint, getting shot of the dust from that, and making sure the wood was CLEAN before painting?

and finally

4. Did you use a BRAND NEW brush to apply it or was the brush stored in turps, or used for a darker colour previously?

Hope the above is helpful to you.

Good luck.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had the same issues with white oil based paint
It will go yellow very quickly if it does not have natural daylight, the less light the quicker it wil happen.
Either use a water based gloss, they dont go yellow, but give a crap finish as they dry too quickly or choose another colur other than white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back