white paint yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have allways been a fan of oil based paints, but since the VOC changes of 2010 have noticed white paint going yellow after only a few months. I have done some researches and found this is now a common problem. In desperation I wondered if I could add a spot of blue paint to sort of create a blue whitener as is done with a blue rinse for net curtains. If so I wondered what ratio and what colour. If anyone has any idears or any other solutions it wold be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well it's a nice idea yet I'm afraid it simply won't work, Acrylic paints are the future now and if you want non yellowing they are the way to go. If you decide to give them a try use a good synthetic brush such as purdy.

Dec

Dactyl said:
I wondered if I could add a spot of blue paint to sort of create a blue whitener

Sorry but no. Paint colour mixing is subtractive (same as printer inks). White paint reflects all colours equally. Yours appears yellow because it's absorbing a little light from the blue end of the spectrum. Mixing in blue paint won't put this back; it will merely absorb light from the red end of the spectrum and leave you with pale green. :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
Yesterday my husband, Frank Chuter, posted a thread on yellowing white paint and suggested an alternative to oil paints. For some reason people assumed that he was selling this product and he was subsequently removed by the moderators. I can categorically state that he is a genuine decorator, who has had a lot of problems himself with yellowing oil paint and was only trying to help the DIY forum. He does not sell anything, other than he is a decorator. We are baffled and disappointed by the response.

And why would that be spamming? He wanted to put the information on all the articles he found with yellowing paint, so that he could help as many people as possible, as he has been very frustrated for over a year with this yellowing problem at work.

I think you have been a bit too quick to moderate, there are genuine people around. I would just like to state again that he is not a product salesman in any shape or form and has no connection whatsoever with the brand he recommended other than discovering and using it himself. If you still think he is a spammer then you should remove me as well, because then you are obviously not worth bothering with and don't appreciate advice from genuine professionals. Guess who is missing out?

Thank you for your explanation, which I will accept. The reason he posted is because there is so much misinformation regarding white oil paint since the 2010 reformulations and there is no oil paint now that does not yellow very quickly. We have a bathroom in our own house with a skylight, which was painted in brilliant white satinwood, which turned cream in three months. Also, a fireplace in the sitting room painted with another brand of brilliant white satinwood, turned lemon yellow in two months. The manufacturers are struggling with this and do not advertise the fact that there is this problem. It is so bad that one wonders whether brilliant white oil paint should be sold at all as brilliant white.

Why does he use it if he thinks it all goes yellow?

and his "wife" is well informed.

Getting a bit tired off this moaning about oil based paint yellowing, STOP USING IT and switch to the alkyd WB hybrids, professionals should be capable of giving their clients a solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back